Tornado Cake That Spins....??

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 14 Aug 2014 , 12:51pm by ljdills

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

My son has asked for a 'Sharnado' cake for his birthday. I would like to make a tornado that actually spins. This doesn't have to be the entire cake....in fact, I was thinking of making it just one component of the cake. I ordered a battery powered disco ball motor, based on suggestions Ive seen online.

My main questions are; What can I make the tornado out of? Also, will the disco ball motor work if its not hanging? Will it still spin?

Thanks!!

4 replies
cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 5

anyone?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 3:49am
post #3 of 5

AYou could use rice krispie treats, or a stack of cookies that graduate in size or what would be really cool would be spun sugar --

I am clueless about your motor I did one moving part cake once -- had flapping angel wings omg :) -- but the biggest deal is to watch the weight -- don't let it exceed the weight limit but I hope it will spin for you upside down -- don't know --

best to you

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 5:14am
post #4 of 5

I made one that could spin :) I made the tornado out of styrofoam because of the weight and the base was made out of cake. I used one of those toys that you drop paint in and it spins around to spread the paint, not sure what they are called. And I built a stand over it. I wish I had taken photos of how to set it up. but here is the video for it

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 5

My thoughts were the same as Smallfrye.  To keep the weight minimal I would use styrofoam for at least part of the tornado.  You can buy cone shaped styro at Wal Mart or any craft store.  I love the idea of spun sugar too.  Can't wait to see what you come up with !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%