Cheap Customers

Lounge By CollieMom89 Updated 12 Aug 2014 , 5:29pm by CollieMom89

CollieMom89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CollieMom89 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 5

Don't we just LOVE them?  I don't really sell my cakes (get money for ingredients if I make for a family member or friend), but I do try and sell my cake toppers.  

I had a woman writing me today looking for a somewhat elaborate cake topper with a halloween/circus theme who was rather offended by my quoted price... (Though in all seriousness, my prices are a bit generous in her favor as I am still learning as I go and don't feel I'm up to asking what some more experienced bakers may ask).  

That said, I do expect payment for my materials and my time as well.  If I estimate that someone more experienced than me would take about 3 hours on something that might take me 4, I will quote them for 3.  

She writes: "I'm not paying [xx] dollars for something to sit on the cake that's small in size.  I only pay $35 for a cake that feeds over 100 people."  Mind you, she hadn't TOLD me the size of her cake yet and I sent her a range of prices depending on the size of her cake. 

So I quickly write back: "No problem at all, I understand that some people don't realize how much time, material and care go into creating custom pieces out of what is essentially sugar dough.  Doing a lot of baking myself, I know that you could not even buy supplies for a cake to feed over 100 people for less than $35, so please pass on my condolences to whoever is selling themselves so cheap.  I believe the grocery store bakery has a lovely assortment of plastic, cheap decorations to choose from.  Have a good day!!'  

...And then I promptly deleted that message, and sent her just a simple "No problem.  Sorry I could not help you this time.  Good luck with the rest of your cake and please let me know if there's anything I can do for you in the future. Have a great day!"

Score 1 for cakers and crafters of all sorts being the bigger people... I'm sure her baker is quite pleased 

Just thought I'd share :) 

4 replies
Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 5

Quote:

So I quickly write back: "No problem at all, I understand that some people don't realize how much time, material and care go into creating custom pieces out of what is essentially sugar dough.  Doing a lot of baking myself, I know that you could not even buy supplies for a cake to feed over 100 people for less than $35, so please pass on my condolences to whoever is selling themselves so cheap.  I believe the grocery store bakery has a lovely assortment of plastic, cheap decorations to choose from.  Have a good day!!'  

...And then I promptly deleted that message, and sent her just a simple "No problem.  Sorry I could not help you this time.  Good luck with the rest of your cake and please let me know if there's anything I can do for you in the future. Have a great day!"

I liked the first response better! The fact that she only paid $35 dollars say`s enough about her..you wouldn`t want your pretty topper on THAT cake anyway..one can only imagine how that`s going to turn out 8-O

CollieMom89 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerlocks 

..one can only imagine how that`s going to turn out 8-O

I would actually LOVE to see the finished cake!

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 5

Well if you did happen to do a bit of fb sloothing I for one would love to see that cake..lol

CollieMom89 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 5

Excellent idea--I will try!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%