Stacking Cakes With Italian Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By thesongbirdy Updated 12 Aug 2014 , 2:19pm by morganchampagne

thesongbirdy Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 3:56am
post #1 of 9

AI've been searching a bunch for an answer to my question. I can't seem to find it, though it may be so obvious that no one ever asks.

Can I stack and tier cakes with Italian Meringue Buttercream without the filling squishing out the sides? I've never filled a cake with IMBC before, so I'm a little hesitant.

8 replies
drea88 Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 4:15am
post #2 of 9

AYes. The tiers above sit on whatever support system you are using, rather than on the cake beneath.

AZCouture Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 4:15am
post #3 of 9

AYou chill them solid, and you can move them around with ease. Anything of mine you see is smbc,same thing.

jessicake Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 4:19am
post #4 of 9

Yes you can!  Make sure your IMBC is not too soft (which happens if you add your butter too soon…)  IMBC is surprisingly strong.  Pipe a solid dam of buttercream around the edge, then fill in the middle with buttercream and stack your next layer.  Make sure that your dam is slightly inside the edge of the cake layer and that it does bulge out farther than the cake layers at this point.  Chill until firm before applying a crumb coating.

Use straws or dowels for support and stack as usual.

AZCouture Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 6:39am
post #5 of 9

AEh, you don't have to chill before applying a crumb coat, you don't even need to crumb coat. I fill, and ice immediately, and once chilled, shave it down to it's final glassy smooth finish. No weighing it down either, or waiting for "settling".

morganchampagne Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 7:55am
post #6 of 9

AYeah, I use imbc and I don't let it settle either. If I planned well I crumb coat and ice. Then cover in fondant the next day. If I didn't plan well I skip crumb coat all together and just ice, chill, and cover in fondant if need me. Very simple

shannycakers Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 11:54am
post #7 of 9

do you guys then have to keep your fondant cov cake in frig? Im not familiar with IMBC or any other similar style, so just asking ? I would assume they would melt if not kept cold all the time..

thesongbirdy Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 9

AThank you all! The client wants a naked cake, so I don't have to worry about crumb coat or icing decoration this time around.

The cake will also be outside for about 30-45 minutes. I've read in multiple cases and IMBC is a good bet for holding up in heat (especially if I don't want to use American Buttercream).

morganchampagne Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 9

A

Original message sent by shannycakers

do you guys then have to keep your fondant cov cake in frig? Im not familiar with IMBC or any other similar style, so just asking ? I would assume they would melt if not kept cold all the time..

I don't. But you could if you wanted to

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%