Lego Construction Cake

Decorating By shonac Updated 11 Aug 2014 , 12:39am by winniemog

shonac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shonac Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 2:28am
post #1 of 4

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3274296/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Hi fellow cakers! I'm attempting a Lego construction cake (similar to the ones pictured) and I was wondering if anyone had any brilliant ideas regarding the method to doing this (eg lego bricks first and then rolled fondant or rolled fondant cut out and bricks fitted etc). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 4:55am
post #2 of 4

AI'm sure my idea is not brilliant, but I covered t cake, cut out the area I wanted under construction and applied the lego bricks to the ganache surface underneath which was exposed when I cut away the fondant. Then I added a roll of fondant to the top of the cut away area to make it look like it was part of th main fondant covering the cake, so I disguised the seam under the roll. The cake was LOTS of fun. I added lots of brown royal "mud" to my construction site. I even made a lego birthday boy foreman for the site. Enjoy!

shonac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shonac Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 12:28am
post #3 of 4

AThanks minniemog! That's how i was going to approach it but though there might be an easier way, how did you go getting the lego bricks (that are directly on the ganache) straight and uniformed?

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 12:39am
post #4 of 4

AFor the top surface, I made thin lego bricks using a silicone mould and cut them to fit the reveal space. For the side of the cake I used rectangles of fondant that I hand-cut and placed in rows. I started at the top so I could match the top surface of the cake and then used a straight edge to keep the base of each row even. It was actually pretty easy but reasonably time-consuming of course!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%