"oil" Or Liquid Seeping Out Of Buttercream?

Decorating By Tortina Updated 10 Aug 2014 , 5:43pm by cakegrandma

Tortina Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 3

I have been using the Crusting Buttercream by RaRaRobyn from this site and make it as is. I usually only add 1/4 cup of water and always add the meringue powder and use unsalted sweet cream butter and Crisco.

I frost the cake and notice the next day or in a few hours, "oil" or liquid puddling at the bottom of the cake on the board. This happens either under fondant or just left as buttercream. I like how it crusts and use the Viva Towel method.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Or suggest a similar recipe that does not do this? It makes me nervous that cake will slide around.

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 3

ANo trans fat Crisco. That stuff does not make good icing.

cakegrandma Posted 10 Aug 2014 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 3

I suggest purchasing Hi-Ratio shortening. LOTS BETTER than CRISCO!  I makes a difference in how your product will taste, baked goods, pie crust as well as icing.  You can order a 3# container to try it from most sites and it is even better to get a 50 pound box.  When I purchase this amount I cut it into squares, wrap and freeze until you need some more than what you have out already.  I pay about 77.00 for 50 lbs of Sweetex at Restaurant Depot or you can order it for a somewhat higher cost from Gordon Food Service.

Quote by @%username% on %date%