Wedding Cakes Food Safety

Decorating By MonasCakery Updated 15 Aug 2014 , 5:36am by MonasCakery

MonasCakery Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a fondant wedding cake to for a wedding tomorrow (24 hrs Later).

I want to use a chocolate ganache filling made with cream, and a buttercream icing made with butter and Sweetex under the fondant.  I need to make the cake today, and deliver tomorrow.

Is it okay to let the cake sit out for a day or will the cream and butter cause the icing and filling to spoil?  I heard that fondant protects everything from going bad, but yesterday someone told me that the cream and butter will spoil.  What is your advice?

10 replies
-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 11

once those ingredients are all incorporated -- you'll be ok--


if you were using cream cheese it'd be different -- but there's a small amount of cream so you're ok -- in other words those ingredients basically become something else, a different commodity that isn't immediately hazardous --


so you're cool

leah_s Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 11

You don't even have to refrigerate butter.  You'll be fine.

MonasCakery Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you for your reply.  I have never had a problem in the past, but the Country Club wanted me to sign a waiver because I do not have insurance.  So I have to accept liability, which is stupid because a guest can get sick from the food and not my cake.  But thanks for your quick reply.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 11

AI understand what you mean but that's a very generous accommodation -- to satisfy their insurance company and to protect them from health department issues -- you're getting a huge accommodation from them -- most places just bar uninsured cakers --

so, good for you

-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 11

Anot to mention yes, without insurance you are not protected from any other potential issues with all the rest of the food -- it's a big deal

MonasCakery Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 4:55am
post #7 of 11

Any suggestions of where to get food liability insurance?

-K8memphis Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 11:41am
post #8 of 11

Awhoever does your homeowners/renters insurance would happily provide a commercial rider for you

MimiFix Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 11

Try contacting FLIP - Food Liability Insurance Program

leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 11

AFLIP is excellent. $299 per year

MonasCakery Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 5:36am
post #11 of 11

Thank you everyone for your help!


Quote by @%username% on %date%