Need Help With Giant Cupcake Cake

Decorating By Ambersweetreats Updated 7 Aug 2014 , 6:56pm by mattyeatscakes

Ambersweetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambersweetreats Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 4

AOk so I am making a cake for my friend, it's for her daughters first birthday. She wants me to make the smash cake as a giant cupcake. I have the Wilton pan but the only problem I'm having is the outer edge of course is turning brown and when it came out after cooling it looked gross. The bottom I. Was hoping I wouldn't have to trim it because it's so ridged. I haven't asked her if she wants fondant on it or not but I prefer not to wrap the bottom in fondant because it is for a smash cake plus I already told her a price without the cost of extra fondant (I am making a fondant bow and Minnie mouse ears) so what's my only other option? Just to ice it? Which would suck because it's not a smooth surface it would prob be so hard to ice smooth. Here's a picture of the cake she wants [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3273098/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

3 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 4

so your friend wants a cake like the one in the pic, but you were planning to leave the bottom un-ice, but the bare cake doesn't look pretty, Is that what you're saying?

you do have a few  options

1. you can do, what i think, was done in the pic, which is to create a candy shell of the base and put your cake inside. 

tutorials here:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1ASUT_enUS487US487&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=giant%20cupcake%20chocolate%20shell%20tutorial

2. you can use a flat frosting tip or a basket weave and do vertical stripes around the base, giving the appearance of a cupcake liner.

here's one with a leaf tip

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jZSlJXl03Hw/Ub34K6GpFcI/AAAAAAAABXI/LqzZZCAn4hA/s1600/giant+cupcake+cake.jpg

3. you could pour a thin layer of ganache or glaze over the bottom.

4. you could use parchment paper folded to look like a cupcake liner and wrap it around the base.

OR you could just frost it and make it look like a cupcake, which is what I would do, and why I never buy shaped pans, anyway. 

good luck,

jen

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 12:38am
post #3 of 4

Easiest, most hassle free thing to to do is make a candy-melt shell.  Just melt the candy melts and put them melted mixture in the bottom of the pan and spread it on the sides.  Then, put it in the fridge to harden and it will come right out.  Frosting would be tedious to me..

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 4

AFrost it with buttercream upside down first, easier that way, then turn it rightside up and place in a decorated cake board. Use a small spatula to follow the cake's ridges. Then pipe rosettes on top :) good luck! Smash cakes usually aren't perfectly iced, the whimsical/homemade/messy look makes it more adorable (IMHO).

I have never tried making a candy/chocolate shell. Will try that one day. But that would also cost extra.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%