Are Cupcakes On Their Way Out??

Lounge By MBalaska Updated 15 Aug 2014 , 4:43am by MBalaska

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 11

someone recently asked on a thread if they thought that cupcakes were on their way out.  I laughed when I heard this line spoken in a movie today:

a guy gets a little money and the next thing you know he wants to sit down in restaurants and eat salads and cupcakes and tea.......

This was a line from the movie "Meet John Doe" from 1941 starring Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck. That was a very long time ago.

Hang in there cupcakes.:)

10 replies
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 1:36am
post #2 of 11

AI don't think cupcakes are ever going to get out of style. It compliments the cake, ties up a theme, great as party favours, easy for kids to enjoy, fairly easy to make.. Cake pops on the other hand... Should be kicked out! Lol.. Sorry, i hate making them and tastes like prechewed cake :( hehehe

Also macarons, i think their popularity is dying out.. But cupcakes are staying till the bitter end!! :)

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 2:07am
post #3 of 11

I totally agree about cake pops.  I hope they died a painful death, I hate them and can't understand why people like them. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 2:26am
post #4 of 11

ALast weeks news had a list of the five things Americans no longer buy. Cupcakes were number four on the list. I've absolutely seen sales come to a screeching halt. And I cant give away a cake pop.

drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 4:03am
post #5 of 11

AI don't think people are going to stop eating cupcakes, but I doubt the demand for high-end cupcakes is going to be as high as it was at the height of the cupcake craze. I brought a dozen homemade almond joy cupcakes to a potluck a couple of weeks ago, and the kids gobbled them up in a manner of minutes, despite all of the other dessert options (the fact that they were topped with mini almond joys might have something to do with it). I'd say people still like cupcakes, especially children, but the supply of cupcake makers probably exceeds the demand for cupcakes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 10:53am
post #6 of 11

Athe gigi's cupcake franchise here advertised for a cake decorator and I noticed they were talking wedding cakes too so they're knowing where the money is --

those 'everything bundt cake' I think is the name of that newer chain of stores -- those look pretty interesting -- maybe taking the former cupcake customer -- more serving options

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drea88 

I don't think people are going to stop eating cupcakes, but I doubt the demand for high-end cupcakes is going to be as high as it was at the height of the cupcake craze...  
... the supply of cupcake makers probably exceeds the demand for cupcakes.

Cupcakes are a small, neat package. I think they'll always be with us, just not as prevalent. So all those home bakers who have based their business model on cupcakes need to expand their product line or fizzle out.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 11

It comes back to the old adage of 'Never put all your eggs in the one basket'.  If you only sell one thing because it has become popular you are going to go bottom up as soon as people move on to the 'next' best thing.  People are fickle.  Diversity is the key.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 11

I've never liked cupcakes or could see the point in them. They are overly sweet, usually topped with some revolting swirl of something and then sprinkled with suspicious shards of something highly coloured.

Cake pops are even sleazier, you just know they are the trimmings of something better...like any kind of sausage...the bits you can't use.

I know kids like them but that's hardly a recommendation, those rug rats will eat anything if there's enough tooth rot mileage in it.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 6:58am
post #10 of 11

I recently decided I liked cake pops when I had to make 500 of them and the binding was Captain Morgan.  Made those suckers quite good.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 4:43am
post #11 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

I recently decided I liked cake pops when I had to make 500 of them and the binding was Captain Morgan.  Made those suckers quite good.

they sound like my moms holiday rum balls.

I Just went to my very first Big City Cupcake Store.  Experimental testing done on a vanilla cupcake with vanilla buttercream (crusting) and double chocolate with chocolate icing.  Both cakes were dry, crumbly, bland tasting, with a small amount of the dull buttercream that tasted like it was made from Crisco shortening.   They hit the round bucket in the hotel room, and I celebrated the home made recipes that I've developed over the decades.  Love my homemade goodies best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%