Is There A Video Tutorial On How To Make A Spiral Cake?

Decorating By weluvpiggies Updated 25 Aug 2014 , 2:25pm by LizKatherine

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,  I really want to make a 2 tier cake that looks like there is a path winding its way around the cake to the top. 

I've searched the CC site and found a few picture tutorials, but I am having a hard time visualizing exactly how to do it based on the pictures alone. 

Does anyone know of (or could make) a VIDEO tutorial for this type of cake?  Or, at least point me to a tutorial that's got more pictures of every side?

Thanks so much!  :)

4 replies
weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 5

ABump (from me) :-)

mary1074 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary1074 Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 5

AMy Cake School has a great tutorial on a spiral cake- I am a member there so I can access the video. She marks her tiers with edible marker where she wants to cut and then marks her knife with a sharpie about an inch from the top of the blade. She uses that as her guide to know how deep to cut into the cake. I made a three tier spiral cake from this video tutorial. Make sure your tiers are very cold when you start slicing.

LizKatherine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizKatherine Posted 25 Aug 2014 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 5

I made a spiral cake last year, my piano cake, you can see in my photos. Basically, what I did, I stacked my cakes and filled as normal. I took toothpicks and put one where the spiral begins at the top of the cake and followed line down, marking with toothpicks. then put one more marking where it ends a the bottom. Then I just carved that line down – following my tooth picks, and took them out as I carved them. All that carving is diagonal. 

Then I did again the tooth picks and put them in the top of the cake where the spiral begins and ends. and carved vertically down following the line of tooth picks. So i got my spiral that way. I hope this helps, although I'm terrible at explaining it! I

LizKatherine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%