Building A Minion Cake

Decorating By mommamaddog Updated 5 Aug 2014 , 8:38pm by mommamaddog

mommamaddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommamaddog Posted 4 Aug 2014 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm just about to build a minion cake, but I'm not sure how to handle covering the layers. It'll be two cakes tall , each on a cake board with dowel supports,then a dome on top; then I'll cover the entire structure with fondant . My issue is as  the bottom and middle layer won't have fondant on top of them, will they be dry?  Should I buttercream each layer all over before assembling, or put a layer of fondant between each layer? Any help would be appreciated!  

3 replies
oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 12:51am
post #2 of 4

ATwo 4" double layer cakes tall? Or are you separating each layer with a board and dowels? I think dowling and boarding a 2" cake is a little much. When stacking cakes, I frost and fill each individual cake as a unit, dowel and place cardboard on top, then place my next filled/frosted cake on top, etc.

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 3:44am
post #3 of 4

I've recently done a number of minions, and I did what you are planning to do.  I did ice the tops of each double-layer cake, sprinkled with powdered sugar to prevent the cakeboard above from sticking entirely, doweled, then set the next cake (with cakeboard) on top.  Once all together, I stuck a skewer down through the entire thing, then put the fondant on.  I used 2 double-layer 6"rounds with a round on top.  I've also used 2 double-layer 8" with a round on top. I actually made a minion on top of a minion using both of these sizes, so it ended up being 4 double-layer cakes.  Then the top minion was holding a cupcake above his head.  It was very tall!

mommamaddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommamaddog Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for your replies, all done now with your advice taken on board! Yes it was the deeper cakes for doweling and as the cake had to go on a nerve -racking car journey I was keen to dowel more rather than not enough ....I sometimes wonder why I put myself through this stress but the end result looked great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%