Selling Cupcakes To Local Businesses

Business By 2kats Updated 4 Aug 2014 , 1:55am by johnson6ofus

2kats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kats Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 4

I have a local pottery painting shop that is interested in selling my cupcakes in their shop.  We are just in the beginning stages of working this out but I am thinking it will be smaller amounts, maybe 3-4 dozen once or twice per week.  My question is how do you normally charge for that?  Do I just charge my normal amount for cupcakes and then she can mark them up to whatever she wants?  Do I charge wholesale?  Discounted price?  Any advice would be helpful.  I have never sold to another business before.  And, yes, I am licensed and the pottery place is also licensed to sell food. 

3 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 4

Wholesale is selling to a business that will resell your products. Come up with a wholesale price and they can charge whatever they decide. That's business and it benefits both sides.

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 4

I think it depends on the quantity they buy.

You could say, for example, 1-2 dozen = $XX

3-4 dozens = $X

and so on..

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 4 Aug 2014 , 1:55am
post #4 of 4

I would be sure to discount only the LAST quantity, not the first.

Say 1-2 dozen, $2 each

3-4 dozen, $1.90 each

5+ dozen, $1.80 each based on a per week order.

Or give a quantity discount on a monthly basis, say 10th dozen free.

I am just trying to say, don't offer a discounted price UNTIL they buy. What if they only buy a dozen a week? The promise of quantity is not a guarantee of quantity. 

I have vendor who apply discounts based on yearly purchase (home depot even does this on paint, for contractors). First $1,000.00 full price, second $1,000.00 get 10% off, third $1,000 get 20% off.

Whatever. Many choices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%