Red Velvet Cake Recipe

Decorating By TAPG Updated 8 Aug 2014 , 11:32am by vldutoit

TAPG Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 5:15am
post #1 of 5

Hi, I know what most of you are going to say (that a red velvet cake without chocolate is not a red velvet cake or to just adapt some other cake recipe), but I just happened to have tasted and fell in love with this red velvet cake that I had a Christmas party. This cake has some other flavoring that is much more than just taking the cocoa powder out of the traditional recipe. The cake is more like the cake from Miss Robbie's Sweetie Pie's restaurant. It is a very bright red and you do not taste any cocoa powder in it. I can't quite put my finger or tastebuds on the creamy sweet flavor I tasted in it, but it does not taste like any other red velvet cake I've ever tasted. I am asking if anyone knows the recipe, would you please share. I believe the recipe is a Southern version (New Orleans--Mississippi area). TIA.

4 replies
vldutoit Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 5

AFood network has a southern RV recipe that I have fallen in love with. It only calls for 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder. I use the Hershey special dark and make a few substitutions. I use LorAnn RV emulsion (1Tbs) instead of the food color, cake flour instead of AP, and cider vinegar instead of white. I tried to copy the link but it wouldn't work on my tablet. Google food network red velvet cake and it is the first one. It is a southern red velvet. Hth

TAPG Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 3:06am
post #3 of 5

Thank you very much! Will check it out.

kazita Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 3:33am
post #4 of 5

Ahttp://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/southern-red-velvet-cake-recipe.html Hopefully this is the link you were trying to post...hth

vldutoit Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 11:32am
post #5 of 5

AThat is it! Thanks Kazita.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%