Butter Cream And Fondant

Decorating By fatima27 Updated 3 Aug 2014 , 12:28am by DeniseNH

fatima27 Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 8

AHello I want to make a 2 tier cake. One butter cream and one ganache. My question is would it be ok if I fill with ganache and cover with fondant and then place a cake that's butter cream on top with no fondant.and my other question is how do I decorate the top one. Do I decorate it on the side then place it on top or should I decorate it when it on the fondant cake Thanks you

7 replies
fatima27 Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 8

AAnyone?

DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 8

@fatima27  Please understand that many of the people best equipped to answer you may be busy delivering cakes.  Response times for Friday-Sunday may be slower than earlier in the week.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:10am
post #4 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatima27 

Hello
I want to make a 2 tier cake. One butter cream and one ganache. My question is would it be ok if I fill with ganache and cover with fondant and then place a cake that's butter cream on top with no fondant.
yes you can
and my other question is how do I decorate the top one. Do I decorate it on the side then place it on top or should I decorate it when it on the fondant cake
Thanks you

final ice it on the side -- then stack it -- then decorate it -- you would want to use dowel to support the top tier

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

best to you

DeniseNH Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:15am
post #5 of 8

I'll take a poke at this one because I have a cake free weekend.  Yes you can put a buttercream cake on top of a fondant covered cake.  As far as whether to decorate the buttercream covered cake first or after it's in place on top of the fondant covered cake...........................ummmmmmmmmmmmm, without knowing what you are planning for decorations, I guess it's up to you.  If the decorations need to touch the fondant cake below then yes, put them together first.  If you need to use a ruler or measuring device to line up the decorations, then do it before so that the cake underneath doesn't get in your way. 

fatima27 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:21am
post #6 of 8

AThanks for all the replies. Just wondering if I wanted to do the top cake 6" what size do u think the bottom one should be

costumeczar Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:24am
post #7 of 8

It could be any size as long as it's properly dowelled to support the 6" tier. Visually I would do a 9", but if you wanted to you could do a 6" or any size over that. Or smaller if you're trying to be avant garde.

DeniseNH Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:28am
post #8 of 8

Bottom should be at least an 8 but a 9" would look better and give you more room to position the decorations on the cake above it.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%