Has Anyone Used Ws Raspberry Curd As A Filling?

Decorating By agildart Updated 5 Aug 2014 , 8:10pm by KellyKSD

agildart Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making my first fruit-filled cake (ack!) and the CakeBoss raspberry filling recipe I used just isn't coming out the way I want it to.  I see on Williams-Sonoma's website that they sell a raspberry curd, and I'm curious as to whether anyone here has ever used it?  This is the link, and it does say it can be used as a filling, but as I'm not familiar with curds in general, I'm just hesitant to run out and buy it.  

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/raspberry-curd/?pkey=e%7Craspberry%2Bcurd%7C1%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules

8 replies
liz at sugar Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't used it, but I bet it is fabulous!  You could just make a raspberry curd, cooking down some berries and straining the resulting juice and using that along with some lemon juice in a traditional lemon curd recipe.  Either way would be divine. :)

Liz

agildart Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 9

Wish I hadn't made that trip to WS, lol.  It was gross!!!  Doesn't even taste like raspberry and it's like a brownish red color.  Not nice at all.

I'm throwing my filling in a saucepan and heating it up, hoping to thicken it up a bit.  I don't know why it's so thin!!!

liz at sugar Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:19am
post #4 of 9

Oh, so sorry it wasn't any good!  Usually WS is pretty good about carrying stuff that is high quality. :(

Could you add some instant clear jel or gelatin or something to help yours thicken up?

Liz

agildart Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:54am
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Oh, so sorry it wasn't any good!  Usually WS is pretty good about carrying stuff that is high quality. :(

Could you add some instant clear jel or gelatin or something to help yours thicken up?

Liz

I love their lemon curd, actually.  But yeah, this raspberry curd was GROSS.  If someone gave it to me and didn't tell me what it was, I wouldn't even be able to identify it as raspberry.  Live and learn!

I put it back in the saucepan, added a little more cornstarch and heated it up again.  It thickened up a little, but I am still worried that when they cut into it, it's just going to come pouring out.  That would be mortifying!!!  I did put a good dam of buttercream so hopefully that will help.  I've just seen those sleeve fillings and the filling is so thick, mine is definitely thinner than that.

Rfisher Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 9

ASorry the WS curd failed. I am surprised as well. I am still curious what it tastes like, though. Check this out: http://cakecentral.com/t/761616/how-do-you-do-apply-fruit-fillings As long as your dam holds, and the flavor is there, it seems some don't care if it seeps in a bit! I don't think I would care.

KellyKSD Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 6:08am
post #7 of 9

Are you letting the filling come to a boil? You don't have to boil it forever, but when cornstarch is added to a liquid it typically needs to come to a good bubble before you get the full thickening effect. I learned this the first time I tried to make a lemon meringue pie from scratch. I thought I had cooked the filling long enough, as it seemed to thicken up (and I thought it would scorch if I brought it up to a full boil), but it never sat up and was a runny, yucky disaster. So I tried again, waited for it to actually come to a boil, and boy, what a difference! Super thick, and set up beautifully. I've never tried the Cake Boss recipe, so maybe you are doing everything right. Just a suggestion.

agildart Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you for the reply!!  Yes, I did let it come to a boil.  It definitely wasn't like water or anything, but just hadn't thickened up enough in my opinion.  When I added more cornstarch and brought it to a boil again and then let it cool, it thickened up nicely in the end.

The best news is that a person that attended the party voluntarily told me that everyone raved about the cake and it was amazing!!  Yay!!

KellyKSD Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 9

Glad you had a good result in the end! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%