Ugly Cake Designs

Decorating By Bunny0410 Updated 7 Dec 2014 , 7:02pm by kakeladi

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 5:47pm
post #31 of 42

AI'm just echoing what everyone else has said. You're in business to make the cake THEY want. You've suggested things, they are stuck on their design. If you have to LIKE the design to be motivated to do it.....you're treating this like your hobby still, and it is not.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 6:16pm
post #32 of 42

and this is a great a reason to be a hobby baker-- you can go as big & bold as you want on decor plus break the bank on the finest ingredients every time you make a cake -- but not at all when in business

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 6:35pm
post #33 of 42

AIndeed! I know it sounds hypocritical because in in business and making cakes. But there are OTHER ways to make money. (Not talking to you OP) just people in general. Really really think about if you enjoy cake decorating or if you really want to try and run a business where cake decorating is ONE aspect of 1,000

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 8:06pm
post #34 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Crush crush crush...If you can find someone who only does orders that they want to do, and who is making a living wage, and who doesn't supplement their income by teaching, selling tutorials, doing tv programs, or working part time somewhere else, let me know. To make more than poverty level wages you need to do an ugly cake every now and then! Or even a pretty one that you still hate because you've done it so many times.

Oh I probably can't...((sigh)) :P No, you're right, no arguing that, and if you really can't bring yourself to do it then you better decide if you're running a business or a glorified hobby. Is that your line, or Kat's, or mine? :D I just don't photograph or promote them, but I certainly don't turn money away. That would be reeeeee-diculous.

AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 8:28pm
post #35 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

If you have to LIKE the design to be motivated to do it.....you're treating this like your hobby still, and it is not.

Perfectly said! I reply to every request for a cake with something along the lines of "if you'd like something custom, based on some of the ideas from the cake/s you submitted, I'd be happy to help...blah blah blah" unless they're asking about one of my original designs, then that's cool, I'll do those all day long. :D 

And nine times out of ten they are up for it. I can't remember the last time anyone said no, that's exactly what they wanted, but anything blatantly character themed (Mickey Mouse for example), pregnant belly and/or boobs, baby butts, those I just don't do, period. It's my business, and I do get to call the shots on some designs, and am quite ok with that. Around here, the budgets that come along with requests like those are never worth it in the first place, so that's an easy out for me. :D

But if someone wants a tiered rough iced cake, sure, I'd be silly to decline that. Like Kara says, I can bang that out and then I have time to take a nap. Paycheck versus....no paycheck? Yeah.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 9:25pm
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

But if someone wants a tiered rough iced cake, sure, I'd be silly to decline that. Like Kara says, I can bang that out and then I have time to take a nap. Paycheck versus....no paycheck? Yeah.

Oh my God, I have one of those for this weekend and I'm glad it's that simple. I've been slammed this week and I'm grateful for the opportunity to have a fast cake to do. I did one today that was piped mehndhi hell, so slap slap slap that rough icing on!

The hobby thing I've said, and I know Kat has said, but she took it one step farther and made up the term "jobbyist," So she gets the crown on that.:wink:

AZCouture Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 10:12pm
post #37 of 42

AOh yes, jobbyist is awesome.

pknardi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pknardi Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 10:35pm
post #38 of 42

This is NOT about you or what you like, it is about the person who is requesting this masterpiece. It is up to you to make it beautiful or ugly.  Personally, I think it sounds different and beautiful. Can you do it? Think outside the box.  YOU make it beautiful...You can do this!

Rawxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rawxy Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 1:08am
post #39 of 42

I think that we should give the customer what the want, maybe they are just happy with what they are ordering.

:)

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 4:47pm
post #40 of 42

Okay…here's the deal.

:-DNavy blue icing/fondant will turn people's poop green.  Not to be disgusting but that's the only way to put it.

If your customer wants her party attendees to freak out when they are pooping green, awesome.  If not, I suggest a better color, perhaps with touches of navy blue.  Because according to Dr.Oz, poop is supposed to be brown.

I know this because I made my husband a navy blue Ole MIss football helmet cake.  It was delicious but….

cake4court Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4court Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 4:04am
post #41 of 42

I think if the snowflakes are small and delicate they might be a pretty accent to the navy blue and flowers...not a fan of big chunky snowflakes but thats just me :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Dec 2014 , 7:02pm
post #42 of 42

I'd love to know the outcome of this post.  Did Bunny do the cake?  Did the customer like it?   And most importantly did the people who ate it poop green???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%