Tips For Making This Bc Effect?

Decorating By Betccqlz Updated 5 Aug 2014 , 10:31pm by rosamg_86

Betccqlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Betccqlz Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 11

Hi!  So I had a bride email this inspiration pic, and I said it looked easy enough, but now I'm not really sure the best way to go about creating this look or what tip to use.  Its not tight ruffles like most of the ruffle cake tutorials I've seen.  It looks more like someone just used a lot of BC and then dragged a thin spatula through it.  Any thoughts oh wise ones here?  I have a little time to practice different techniques, but I'd rather get advice before trying!

Thank you so much!

10 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Betccqlz Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you, enga!  That does help.  Just confirms I thought maybe no tip needed to do something like that.  

Question: do you think you'd have a seem up the back from every rotation, or would you just keep spinning the turntable and gradually move up each time you got to the next layer/ruffle so it'd be one continuous spiraling line all the way up?

Thanks again!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 11

Every cake has a back, thank goodness.

enga Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 11

You could do it in rows all the way around and lifting off gently when you reach the end to make it seamless or slowly move your spatula toward the top while rotating the turntable.

I think there is a video on you tube.

enga Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 11

This video from A Cake To Remember at the 2:00 mark shows how you could to achieve this effect.

cake4court Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4court Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 2:47am
post #7 of 11

I love this effect, it's so pretty. I am doing a cake like this in november for a wedding, I think your best bet is to keep your spatula on the cake while turning and slowly move upward for a spiral like effect... IMO dragging one line at a time makes more perfect ridges where this cake is very whimsical and uneven.

Betccqlz Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks so much you all!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Aug 2014 , 1:29am
post #9 of 11

I think that cake's done with a flat piping tip, but it's hard to tell. You could get the look with the spatula but it's more uneven than that, so I think they piped the bands of icing on. Either way, if you're just looking for the ridged look you'll get it.

mish83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mish83 Posted 4 Aug 2014 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 11

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3272301/width/200/height/400[/IMG] I just made this cake for a wedding and used the small Wilton spatula. I put the tiers on my turn table and turned the cake with the tip of the spatula dragging through the icing to make the ridges. Make sure you put plenty of icing on. I did each ring separately stopping in the back. It wasn't hard to make it look good where the ring ends met up.

rosamg_86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosamg_86 Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 11

I recently made this cake...First, I covered the cake in buttercream...stacked and then I used the smaller spatula and turned the turn table, dragging the spatula on the the cake. Pretty easy technique and very very pretty :) Hope this helps :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%