Why Did This Happen?

Decorating By FlRugbyChick Updated 29 Jul 2014 , 4:18pm by FlRugbyChick

FlRugbyChick Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 2:54am
post #1 of 8

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3269632/width/200/height/400[/IMG]When I covered this cake with mmf it was smooth with no cracks. Then it got very damp and shiney. I put a fan on it and it dried out, but then it started to form thin cracks. Anyone know why? Here is a pic.you can see it by his left eye the most.

7 replies
FlRugbyChick Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 3:01am
post #2 of 8
CraftyCassie Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 5:13am
post #3 of 8

ANot sure why it would get damp except maybe humidity.

Where was the fan? On the side that cracked? Think it got too dry.

Ellie Sunshine Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 5:47am
post #4 of 8

A

It could be because your frosted cake was too cold when you covered it with fondant - this makes it sticky and damp. 

If your cake was refrigerated for a long period of time and then immediately covered then that would do it.

I have to say that you can't really see the cracks in the photos though so they certainly don't look substantial

FlRugbyChick Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 11:55am
post #5 of 8

AI turned the cake so the fan hit each side. I did have the cake it the fridge for a while because the frosting was very soft.

It seemed like the more I moved the cake the more cracks I saw. I used a card board cake board, maybe it wasn't sturdy enough. Also, it wasn't 2 stacked 1/2 sheets, it was 4 1/4 sheets.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 8

AI'm not saying that your cake being cold before fondanting didn't cause the cracks-- I'm saying that all my cakes are cold sometimes partially frozen before fondant is applied -- I usually use satin ice and they don't crack

FrostedMoon Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 8

Sounds like condensation from covering a cold cake in a humid room.  I don't think that caused the cracks though.  I'm guessing it's because your board wasn't sturdy enough for the cake.  Even a little bend as you put your finger under the board to move it is enough to cause those cracks.  That's why every time you moved it more cracks occurred.  Stack a few of those boards together with glue or tape, run a ribbon around the edge and you will have less cracking.  Or just use a more rigid type of board.

FlRugbyChick Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 8

AThanks, I will have to try a stronger board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%