Stacking On A Cake Stand

Decorating By passionflour Updated 25 Jul 2014 , 8:58pm by AZCouture

passionflour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
passionflour Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, lately I have been seeing some gorgeous photos of cakes displayed on cake stands. Most appear to be stacked directly on the cake stand. Usually I put my cakes on a 3/8 inch foam core display board, even if it will go on a raised stand, but I am loving the look without the board. For those of you who have done wedding cakes on stands, how do you go about stacking and transporting the cake? Do you do the bottom tier directly on the stand, and if so, how do you ensure it does not tip over in transport? Or do you put the cake on a temporary board for travel and then move to the stand on site? Just wondering what your preferred methods are.

Thanks!

8 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 9

ADo you mean these types of stands?[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3266009/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

I can only speak for myself, but when I post photos like these, [I]usually[/I] it's only on there for the photo, my stands generally do not go with the cake. However when I do rent them out, the cake is [I]usually[/I] not transported on the stand, it's on a decorated drum, and is placed on the stand upon arrival.

When I do build the cake on the stand, the bottom tier still gets the board of course, because I need to be able to move it around while icing, smoothing, covering in fondant, etc. I put down a piece of duct tape directly on the stand, and carefully place the bottom tier on, making sure it's centered. It's stuck like glue now, and won't be going anywhere. Then I stack as I would normally. I ask hubby to drive me to the destination, holding the cake the whole time. Or if it's a smaller one, I'll drive one handed, holding it still on top of a Styrofoam dummy with pieces of non skid mat underneath the stand, and another underneath the dummy, on the front seat of my car. :grin:

Edited for a gross amount of omitted words and general typos...sheesh.:(

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 9

I think she is referring to putting the cake directly onto the pedestal, without a cake drum or base. You would have to wait until arriving at the venue before placing and stacking directly on the pedestal.

passionflour Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 9

Yes, I mean directly on the stand without drum or pedestal. @AZCouture For, example your beautiful aqua/white buttercream wedding cake that is directly on the wavy white stand. Did you stack on site? That can be tricky with SMBC. Thanks!

AZCouture Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 9

AI did the one handed trick with that one, my husband was out of town that day, so I had to handle that one myself. Luckily the art center is only two blocks from me...whew!:-D

AZCouture Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 9

AYeah, I can count on one hand the times I've stacked on site with a buttercream cake, smbc is darn difficult to handle unless it's straight out of the fridge.

passionflour Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 9

@AZCouture I have a hilarious visual of you driving with your one handed cake rig! It sounds amazing and terrifying. Gotta love the behind the scenes stuff.

AZCouture Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 9

A

Original message sent by klan30

You would have to wait until arriving at the venue before placing and stacking directly on the pedestal.

Nope.

AZCouture Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 9

A

Original message sent by passionflour

@AZCouture  I have a hilarious visual of you driving with your one handed cake rig! It sounds amazing and terrifying. Gotta love the behind the scenes stuff.

Ha! A video camera would be pretty funny. There would be lots of bleeping over the audio! :-X

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%