Ocean Spray Bush

Decorating By Ballymena Updated 25 Jul 2014 , 6:44pm by -K8memphis

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone done Ocean Spray Bush flowers. Client want them 2D on the side of wedding cake. Any ideas?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 6

looks kinda baby's breathy -- i have a pictorial somewhere on how to make baby's breath -- i had it on webshots and webshots closed so i had to get all my stuff off -- i have it buried deep in some dusty computer file folder somewhere marked with hieroglyphics -- see if i can find it but no promises --

and i've never heard of this ocean spray bush before --wow it's pretty!

but on second thought if they want 2-d then just pipe it no?

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, I was going to pipe tiny dots and stars in the shape of the blossom cluster and accent with very tiny fondant flowers and tiny pearls. I have a flower plunger that's only 1/8-1/16" in diameter. I will have to do a test first. The buds of this bush are tiny globes therefore the pearls. Hope it works. Have to do it today. I am on Vancouver Island in Canada and it grows wild here so probably groes all along the Washington,  Oregon and Calif. coast.

Any other piping ideas appreciated.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

looks kinda baby's breathy --

It's actually tinier than babies breath. Better off piping.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 6

i have a few things i use to make the baby's breath -- one is a very small version of tapioca pearls or something like that -- i threw away the packaging so --

but the other thing is ck white non-pariels (that's how it's spelled on the bottle) -- super tiny ones -- don't know how or if you could find these this fast -- but i would wipe little piping gel dots on the cake and press some of the non-pareils into my fingertip and squosh these up into the piping gel -- in fact i'd probably just brush the tip of the piping bag on the cake to get the smallest amount on there -- then connect the dots and pipe the rest -- then add more of these to fill it out -- i'd do these first and last because some will not stick on and you dont' want to have pick too many out of your piping

also dessicated coconut -- coconut food processed to a fair thee well --i'd do the same type of application as above --

best ocean spraying to you! would love to see your finished product --

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by gscout73 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

looks kinda baby's breathy --

It's actually tinier than babies breath. Better off piping.

didn't know --thanks gscout73--it's so pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%