Adjusting Leavener To Account For Lemon Juice?

Baking By mermaidcakery Updated 22 Jul 2014 , 4:37am by mermaidcakery

mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 2:36am
post #1 of 7

AI made a lemon cupcake recipe last week that used zest and lemon juice. The taste was amazing. But they didn't really rise. After reading on the forums I see that the acid in the juice reacts with the baking powder. Is there a way adjust the baking powder to account for the juice?

6 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:22am
post #2 of 7

Hmmmm, I thought lemon juice reacted to baking soda, it seems like a liquid acid would help with the leaving but I could be wrong.

Did you use single or double acting baking powder? I asked because if you used single and didn't put them into the oven right away after it was mixed it could have lost some of it's leavening power and caused your cupcakes not to rise.

mermaidcakery Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:34am
post #3 of 7

AThanks for the reply. It was double acting, which contains baking soda. Most everything I've read, including the beyond buttercream recipe, state that the acid interferes with the leaveners. I was just hoping someone might have had success adding a little more.

enga Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 4:06am
post #4 of 7

Just read her tips on why not to use lemon juice and how it causes problems with the leavening. It states why the +/- pH in some lemon juice would work in one recipe and not in another. I guess I get what you mean now.

I also read an article that says baking soda and lemon juice neutralize each other and that you have to add more lemon juice for a stronger flavor. But if you add more lemon juice you are adding more liquid so it would definitely throw off a recipe. 

I know I have used recipes that call for lemon juice and zest though, maybe it was a pound cake? I don't know. I hope someone else pipes in that can help you more. 

mermaidcakery Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 4:24am
post #5 of 7

AThanks for taking the time just the same.

enga Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 4:28am
post #6 of 7

Hey I found it. It calls for the juice and zest of two lemons. I can pm the recipe to you if you would like.

mermaidcakery Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 4:37am
post #7 of 7

AThat would be great! Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%