How Do I Make An Ostrich Cake?

Decorating By bbibeau Updated 18 Jul 2014 , 8:37pm by bbibeau

bbibeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbibeau Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 5

So my 2-year-old's 3rd birthday is coming up in October and since her sister's birthday in April, she has been asking me that she'd like to have an ostrich cake for her birthday. (Really? An Ostrich?!). I thought it would pass, but she has taken a liking to all things ostrich. (Last year it was an octopus cake). My deal with the girls is that they can choose their own birthday cake each year (since we don't do big presents). Now, I'm racking my brain on how to make an ostrich cake. My plan is to create the cake and have real ostrich feathers as the tail. I would love the ostrich to be standing, but need help figuring out how to make standing ostrich legs. I'm currently thinking of trying to sculpt an ostrich leg stand, but that's a lot of work. 

Then that leaves the head. .  . I don't know what to do there? Moulding chocolate, but would the weight and narrowness be too much?

Help! 

Bonnie

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 5

use pvc plumbing pipe for the legs -- can be covered in modeling chocolate -- 

i would like to suggest that you think some more about using real feathers for safety and health reasons -- sometimes formaldehyde is used for feathers and it's just not something i think you'd want on/near the baby's food -- feathers seem normal and ordinary and they are but not for food once you start thinking/researching about it --

i think i'd just use more pvc pipe for the head and neck -- check out the plumbing supplies in the big box hardware stores or even at a plumbing supply store -- there's a world of possibility there -- you'd want an mdf board cut to sink everything into -- you'll need a flange to attach pvc pipe to the board --

best to you

bbibeau Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you! Those were some great ideas! PVC is sure easier than carving a cake stand! Thanks for the tip on the feathers. I didn't even think of that!

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 5

Bronwen Weber has a great tutorial on sugaredproductions.com right now....

bbibeau Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 5

Wow! Perfect. Thank you. I've looked everywhere to get some ideas. . . ostriches aren't all that popular for cakes. This is perfect. I like the "flirty" little ostrich and my daughter got really excited about it. Thanks so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%