Decorated Cookies & Humidity

Baking By ElizaW Updated 18 Jul 2014 , 6:31pm by -K8memphis

ElizaW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizaW Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 7

Have a upcoming event where I'll be making 200+ sugar cookies for a fundraiser.  Printed out the NFSC recipe.  I want to top the cookies with a decoration (flat) and cannot decide which would be better with our humidity.  I was thinking of flooding the cookies and using the rubber stamp method with food grade gel color/alcohol to stamp the image on top.  Or stamping the image on top of fondant (massa ticino) or having icing sheets with the image printed on them and adhering with?  I have to ship the cookies and make sure they stay intact. 

This won't be until September but wanted to glean some expert opinions as I like to plan ahead.  Just need the cookies to survive the humidity and shipping and look nice for the fundraiser.  They will also be on sale in a humid environment though I'm sure it will be air conditioned too.  Any tips would certainly be appreciated.

6 replies
ElizaW Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 7

Oops, never mind!  Found the Glace icing recipe here for cookies and that sounds like the best to use.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 7

The corn syrup glace icing is the most delicious tasting...by far.  The cheapest and easiest.  If you're trying to make a white coating you'll need to put some 'white' food coloring in it.

Good Luck.

ElizaW Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for your input, greatly appreciate it.  I just ordered the Americolor white gel coloring ;-D

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 7

in the process of my gf making several thousand cookies for obviously a huge order-- she sent test cookies all over the nation and i got one too --it arrived in a white paper one thin layer regular business envelope -- it was wrapped in plastic and it arrived perfect-- that recipe is unbeatable --

i was shocked that she didn't use any packing materials but she cut them nice & thick and who knew they were that sturdy -- mailed from kentucky to tn - 300 - 400 miles --

so that's a thought for you -- make up a batch and send them to friends as a test 

ElizaW Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

in the process of my gf making several thousand cookies for obviously a huge order-- she sent test cookies all over the nation and i got one too --it arrived in a white paper one thin layer regular business envelope -- it was wrapped in plastic and it arrived perfect-- that recipe is unbeatable --

i was shocked that she didn't use any packing materials but she cut them nice & thick and who knew they were that sturdy -- mailed from kentucky to tn - 300 - 400 miles --

so that's a thought for you -- make up a batch and send them to friends as a test 

Wow, what a testament to the recipe that a single cookie would survive shipping.  I think they will hold up OK.  I have shipped cookies before, just not sugar cookies and not in this volume.  I will make a note to cut them somewhat thick (thank you kindly for that tip). Thousands of cookies?  Can well imagine how long that took.

PS Love your sig line :lol:

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElizaW 

PS Love your sig line :lol:

thank you, elizaw, dang brother/s anyway! hahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%