Coffee Cake

Baking By minions Updated 25 Jul 2014 , 10:00pm by enga

minions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minions Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 9

i need a coffee muffens recipe that someone has tried and is sure it is delicious. There is this party and about 50 guests are going to be there, and i want to make coffee muffens. Ive seen some recipe's that claim its 'coffee' cake except they forget the cake has no coffee whatsoever. How can it be a coffee cake with no coffee? anyways i used to use this recipe of mine but i can't find my recipe book and i haven't memorized the recipe so i really need help. Make sure you've tried it ;) i don't want to give someone something thats not tasty though if you give me a recipe im pretty sure you've tried it lol. still just in case :P 

Thank you for your help :) 

8 replies
Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 3:35am
post #2 of 9

Per Wikipedia:

Coffee cake is a common cake or sweet bread available in many countries. The term "coffee cake" can refer to any of the following:

• A class of cakes intended to be eaten alongside coffee (for example, as part of a breakfast meal) or that may be eaten during a "coffee break" or offered to guests as a gesture of hospitality on or around a coffee table. Under this definition, a coffee cake does not necessarily contain coffee. They are typically single layer cakes that may be square or rectangular like a Stollen or loaf-shaped rectangular cakes, or they may be ring shaped, as a bundt. Coffee cakes may be flavored with cinnamon or other spicesseedsnuts and fruits. These cakes sometimes have a crumbly or crumb topping called streusel and/or a light glaze drizzle. Some similarity to teacakesmay be found, though teacakes can be individually sized baked items served with tea.

If you want a cake with coffee in it, you can always make a chocolate cake and substitute a cup of strong coffee for the cup of water. 

Hope that helps!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Jul 2014 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 9

Spooky is right.  When you say coffee cake most people are going to think of a vanilla/cinnamon streusel-y cake that you have with your coffee.  This is totally different than a coffee flavored cake. 

Are you looking for a muffin recipe or a cupcake recipe with icing?

minions Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 6:58am
post #4 of 9

looking for a muffen recipe. so are you saying to a vanilla or chocolate cake i substitute water/milk for the coffee? isnt that a lot of coffee?

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 7:36am
post #5 of 9

These Tiramisu muffins are delicious!!

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch salt
½ cup whole milk
1/3 cup brewed Folgers® Classic Roast coffee, room temperature
½ stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
¼ cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
12 ladyfingers, broken up into small pieces, optional

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pans with paper liners.

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

In another bowl, whisk together the milk, coffee, butter, mascarpone, egg, and vanilla until smooth.

Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry and stir in the chocolate.

Scoop 1/3 cup batter into each muffin tin, sprinkle with ladyfingers if using and bake until muffins spring back when touched, 25 to 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 7:57am
post #6 of 9

I have never heard of "coffee" cake so I became curious and started searching. I found a few that seemed promising but many contained cinnamon or chocolate.

Then I found this one. I have tried many of her recipes and they all came out great. But OMG, I'm definitely trying this recipe tomorrow

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/08/coffee-cake-literally/.

minions Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by doramoreno62 

These Tiramisu muffins are delicious!!

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch salt
½ cup whole milk
1/3 cup brewed Folgers® Classic Roast coffee, room temperature
½ stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
¼ cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
12 ladyfingers, broken up into small pieces, optional

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pans with paper liners.

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

In another bowl, whisk together the milk, coffee, butter, mascarpone, egg, and vanilla until smooth.

Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry and stir in the chocolate.

Scoop 1/3 cup batter into each muffin tin, sprinkle with ladyfingers if using and bake until muffins spring back when touched, 25 to 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool.

thank you :) 

minions Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by enga 

I have never heard of "coffee" cake so I became curious and started searching. I found a few that seemed promising but many contained cinnamon or chocolate.

Then I found this one. I have tried many of her recipes and they all came out great. But OMG, I'm definitely trying this recipe tomorrow

I might try :) 

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by minions 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

I might try :) 

I did, I think next time I will add 6 tbs of coffee crystals, it had a mild flavor. I wanted a knock you in the head coffee buzz flavor, although the icing made up for it :lol:

It was a weird recipe (not having any baking powder) so it didn't rise much at all, very dense. So the recipe might not make for good cupcakes. If I make it again, I will be kicking it (BAM) up a notch,lol.

My daughter just came home  from work, her review: I love the frosting it was delicious!!!, why is it so moist, I had two pieces, I'm I going to be up all day, can I go to the water park with my friends, are you listening to me?

My opinion, add baking powder for a lift and maybe a tad more salt to the dry ingredients. Ummmm, as far as adding more coffee granules, maybe not so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%