Newbie Here!!

Decorating By FrostingPhenom Updated 19 Jul 2014 , 1:53pm by hbquikcomjamesl

FrostingPhenom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostingPhenom Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a while, and after some recent successes with cakes, decided to join up! 

Anyone from Maryland on the forum? 

Mainly, I want to know if anyone has any tips and tricks for better decorating? I would say my friend and I are skilled novices, and we've gotten really good with fondant, but she has a steadier hand than I do for piping work. Any preferences in icing? Tips for cleaner piping? I feel like my work falls flat (literally) no matter what tip I am using.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I'll hopefully be posting some of our work very soon!

6 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 7

Welcome to the squirrel-cage, and look out for the nuts (myself included).

You'll get along just fine as long as you remember that Disco Dust is not food, and as long as you remember the first two rules about edible printing:

Quote:

The first rule of edible printing is that you do not use non-edible inks in your edible printer.

The second rule of edible printing is that you DO NOT use non-edible inks in your edible printer.

(and you still don't talk about Fight Club.)

Personally, if I'm going to pipe something, I make it as stiff as I can, and still get it to pass through the tip (if it comes out in pieces, it's a little too stiff; if it blows a hole in the side of the bag, it's way too stiff).

And I'm sure there must be people from Maryland on CC. While I've passed through Maryland a few times, I don't think I've actually gotten off the train. Maybe the next time I'm in that part of the country.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Welcome to the squirrel-cage, and look out for the nuts (myself included).

Personally, if I'm going to pipe something, I make it as stiff as I can, and still get it to pass through the tip (if it comes out in pieces, it's a little too stiff; if it blows a hole in the side of the bag, it's way too stiff).

HAHAHA!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 7

oh and here's a tip for you -- s-t-r-e-t-c-h your icing out of your piping bag-- 

best to you

Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 7

AThere's a piping class on Craftsy that goes well into piping and buttercream by Winbeckler.

inkyonne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inkyonne Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 5:53am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

:lol: Been there.. done that ~

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 7

AAnother helpful tip: "storage" or "freezer" weight zip-top food bags, with a corner cut out, make good, serviceable, piping bags. "Sandwich" weight zip-top bags, and old-fashioned "Baggies," do NOT; they WILL blow out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%