Fondant Sagging

Decorating By bevi Updated 17 Jul 2014 , 2:21pm by cai0311

bevi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevi Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 5:43am
post #1 of 5

I have tried different approaches so my fondant doesn't sag and I'm still having problems.  Could someone give me a good butter cream recipe for icing the cake before placing the fondant?  Also  what is the usual thickness for the fondant.  Maybe I am rolling it to thin.  Thanks to whoever can come to my aid.

4 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 6:03am
post #2 of 5

AIf you can post a picture of a sagging cake it would be much easier to help identify what you are doing wrong.

Most likely you're rolling your fondant too think rather then thin. The standard is 1/8" I go a bit thinner now but 1/8 is good.

I doubt it's your BC recipe, I use a meringue based BC or ganache, it's just a personal preference-with these icings I can achieve sharper corners but even with an American BC (powdered sugar & butter/shortening) I can still cover a cake successfully. Like anything, it will take practice.

Another issue people have with fondant buldging is due to them not letting their cakes settle, usually after a crumb coat, you should let your cake settle overnight. I don't have big problems using SMBC/ganache but using American BC I had to let it settle. Also, using a dam with runny fillings like jams or curds will help and of course having everything level is essential.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 5

AI quit using buttercream under fondant. Now all my fondant iced cakes are iced with white chocolate ganache. The ganache holds up really well to the weight of fondant.

I roll my fondant to 1/16" thick. It is so thin you can almost see my through it to my counter underneath.

Are you letting your cakes settle once filled? When I fill my cakes I let them settle overnight before icing and covering with fondant.

bevi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevi Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 5

can you share your chocolate ganache recipe so I can try it before the fondant?  I really appreciate your comment

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 5

AI like to use white chocolate ganache under fondant. I like the white chocolate vs chocolate because if I have to take the fondant off because it tears or wrinkles the white chocolate doesn't affect the color of the fondant when I roll it back out.

I just use a 3:1 ratio (3 parts white chocolate and 1 part heavy whipping cream).

I don't use white chocolate chips. I buy white chocolate from my local cake decorating store in large 5 lb bags. You can use the chips, but the large quantity is cheaper and I go through a lot of it so the 5 lb bag is better for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%