Wedding Cake Help Please!

Decorating By JellyBeaners Updated 21 Jul 2014 , 12:23pm by jlhorton

JellyBeaners Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JellyBeaners Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 1:19am
post #1 of 2

AHi everyone! I'm brand new here and love to bake and decorate, but I've never done a wedding cake. I'm doing the cake for my sisters boyfriends brothers fiancée (whew!) she wants a light pink and gray ombre ruffle cake, 1 tier only (going to make 4 layers though) she wants white chocolate raspberry cake...so my questions are these:

Is there a really delicious good raspberry filling I should use?

For the white chocolate cake I'm revamping a boxed white cake mix but is there specifically a good mix I should use?

Second of all the wedding is July 26th in Oregon (it's been running 90's - 100's here) and the wedding is outdoors! How do I keep the icing from melting/sweating/weeping? Will it?

And last what's the best way to get gray ombre color? I've heard dyes have green undertones you can see which I really don't want! Would mixing black fondant with white give me the clean gray I'm looking for?

And I'm also baking 160 cupcakes! Half chocolate and half white chocolate with raspberry filling!

I'm also looking for help on how far in advance should I bake the cake? And how should I store it?

Thanks everyone!

1 reply
jlhorton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlhorton Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 2

The filling I am not sure of...I do a simple raspberry filling of buttercream, raspberry jam and lemon juice but I'm sure there are better recipes, that one is just easy!  I use souped up box mixes all the time, we just use Duncan Hines.  Your cake will definitely be affected if it is that hot for a long amount of time.  I would keep it in the fridge in a box until about an hour or so before you needed to sit it out then put it out at room temperature IN THE BOX.  This keeps the condensation from the temperature change off your cake.  And to get grey I have always mixed small amounts of black color into the icing.  I wouldn't bake far in advance...I usually bake one day and decorate the next. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%