Wedding Cake Collapse

Decorating By LSUmomma36 Updated 19 Jul 2014 , 4:02am by LSUmomma36

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 6:19pm
post #31 of 44

Interesting...I put the board under the cake, and they're usually the same size. If the board is bigger I cut it down to size, then when I crumb coat it that's when I cover the board up. The final coat is put on with the cake sitting on either the cake drum (for hte bottom tier) or one of those flexible cutting mats, then I stick them in the fridge. The cutting mats make it easy to move them around.The final icing coat extends out from the side of the cake a little, so the board is totally covered up and I wouldn't be able to use it as a guide if I wanted to. It looks like this from the bottom:

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 7:06pm
post #32 of 44

AHmmmmmm. Interesting interesting. I'm gonna get some of those boards. I haven't had problems with my cardboard rounds getting wet, but I'm always looking to prevent disasters before they happen

LSUmomma36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSUmomma36 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:06pm
post #33 of 44

Me too Morgan...... but as for using the board for a guide I think the scallop would pose a problem. Maybe I'm wrong. We all have different ways of doing things that work for us.I'm just needed something that won't get moist and I may have to get these but cutting the scallops is an extra step :0(

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:22pm
post #34 of 44

they used to make waxed board too -- 

costumeczar Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 9:18pm
post #35 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSUmomma36 

Me too Morgan...... but as for using the board for a guide I think the scallop would pose a problem. Maybe I'm wrong. We all have different ways of doing things that work for us.I'm just needed something that won't get moist and I may have to get these but cutting the scallops is an extra step :0(

It takes about 1 minute to trim them off, it's no big deal. The benefit of never worrying that they'll absorb moisture far outweighs any trimming time.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 11:36pm
post #36 of 44

AI absolutely use the board to guide my bench scraper. I'm way too OCD to wing it. I cut all of mine from foam core so I can get a custom "fit" depending on how thick I want my icing. Not sure I could wing it and expect a surface this smooth and even. Kudos to you that [B]can[/B]! ;) Don't mind the sharpitty sharp comment, it was in reference to Frosty The Snowman, it was around Christmas time, and..oh nevermind. So yeah, I let boards do the hard work.

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3265213/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

AZCouture Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 11:42pm
post #37 of 44

ABut I think I want some Tuffboards to try at least once.

And please don't go using the foam boards from the hobby store, those have been sitting out and touched by dirty hands, and who knows what else. I order mine in bulk by the case, so they were only handled once before I cut into them. Hopefully. Either way they get wiped down with everclear first and a thin coat of melted soy wax. Got that tip here, from maybenot, I believe. It's a little time consuming, but like anything that puts your mind at ease, and helps you get consistent reliable results, it's worth it. I charge enough for it. ;)

AZCouture Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 11:45pm
post #38 of 44

AI bet you guys that can ice nicely without guides would be great potters too. Ya know, "throwing" clay, on the big clay wheels, making pots and stuff? Seems like that takes steady hands to keep it centered and even. I'm sure I butchered my descriptions, please don't slay me, those who work with clay. :D

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 12:06am
post #39 of 44

I "wing" it. Never was able to get the "using board as a guide" thing, although it totally makes sense. I could easily use the scalloped edge and not have to cut them away. I use 3 waxed cardboards glue-gunned together. I like the height and the sturdiness It offers. 

Always use your home base for everything you can possibly do. Working in unexpected conditions spells disaster unless you are used to making magic with mud. 

I would next time make the cake tiers, set them up with SPS, don't stack until on site, then stack with SPS. 

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 12:27am
post #40 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

But I think I want some Tuffboards to try at least once.

And please don't go using the foam boards from the hobby store, those have been sitting out and touched by dirty hands, and who knows what else. I order mine in bulk by the case, so they were only handled once before I cut into them. Hopefully. Either way they get wiped down with everclear first and a thin coat of melted soy wax. Got that tip here, from maybenot, I believe. It's a little time consuming, but like anything that puts your mind at ease, and helps you get consistent reliable results, it's worth it. I charge enough for it. icon_wink.gif

Does the wax dry clear and not streaky? As in, if I used it to coat the foam core cake base and didn't cover it in fondant, would it look ok?

costumeczar Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 1:42am
post #41 of 44

Quote:

I bet you guys that can ice nicely without guides would be great potters too. Ya know, "throwing" clay, on the big clay wheels, making pots and stuff? Seems like that takes steady hands to keep it centered and even. I'm sure I butchered my descriptions, please don't slay me, those who work with clay. icon_biggrin.gif

I would love to try pottery, my photography teacher told me that I had a very steady hand to do long exposures, but I think that depends on how much caffeine has been ingested that day. :razz:

Talking about people touching the boards...I was at the grocery store in line, and there were two little girls with their mother in front of me. They were about 4 and 2. The little one was copying everything the big one did, and they were taking all the gum out of the candy rack and sniffing the packages, then putting them back. Then they took the tictacs out and licked them, and put them back. Then the big one started reaching way up as high as she could to take out the rolls of mentos and they sniffed those and licked them then put them back. I'll never buy gum again, but it was hilarious to watch.

AZCouture Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 2:37am
post #42 of 44

A

Original message sent by FioreCakes

Does the wax dry clear and not streaky? As in, if I used it to coat the foam core cake base and didn't cover it in fondant, would it look ok?

Oh yeah, looks fine! You just wipe enough on to stick, and I buff it mostly all right back off.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 2:51am
post #43 of 44

Quote:

Oh yeah, looks fine! You just wipe enough on to stick, and I buff it mostly all right back off.

Sounds great! I did a search and it seems amazon sells it, would you recommend any soy wax? are all created pretty much equal? 

LSUmomma36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSUmomma36 Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 4:02am
post #44 of 44

You guys have given some excellent tips. I am definitely ordering the boards. I can't risk having this happen again....yikes :0/ In this week of scouring this side, I've gone from mortified, to terrified and now, because of all of you, excited to created again. Thank you all so much <3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%