How To Get Cornflour Off Of My Fondant Cake..?

Decorating By claudeamaddison Updated 18 Jul 2014 , 10:26am by Dayti

claudeamaddison Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 8:07am
post #1 of 4

Hi guys. I am a beginner in making fondant cakes and I use cornflour to roll my fondant onto, I sprinkle it lightly onto my counter top and roll it out, but when I place it over my iced cake, it  looks dry because of the cornflour.. I started to use a small brush to lightly coat the fondant in water to get it off because brushing it doesn't do the trick as the cornflour is mixed into the fondant. I do not like the wet sticky look it gives me when I water brush it. Do I use less cornflour? Or is there any alternatives to use? I'm so stuck! 

(I live in New Zealand and we call cornstarch, cornflour!)

3 replies
FioreCakes Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 4

Try vodka, or even a dry brush should do the trick. 

MBalaska Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 4

Originally Posted by claudeamaddison 

".......because brushing it doesn't do the trick ...."

A fat blush brush, face make up brush, new and clean of course, works pretty well to dry-dust off the fondant.

Dayti Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 10:26am
post #4 of 4

The trick to not getting cornflour everywhere is only put a small amount under your initial ball of fondant on the worktop. As you roll, the fondant will pick up the cornflour needed and spread it around by itself. Turning your fondant and sliding it over the work surface will ensure it doesn't stick, but you can add a tiny sprinkle more underneath if necessary.

Basically, don't sprinkle the cornflour all over your work surface, as it just gets all over your rolling pin and onto the top of your fondant. 

A dry brush helps to remove it as mentioned, also a paper towel sprayed lightly with vodka (make sure it doesn't leave tiny shreds of paper on the cake though) and gently wiped over the cake works too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%