How Is This Decorating Technique Called? - Urgent - Please Help!!

Decorating By Vittiglio Updated 12 Jul 2014 , 11:16am by Vittiglio

Vittiglio Posted 11 Jul 2014 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 9



I'm going to make a cake like this in the outside (with cream cheese) for a bride to be. (She wanted it and as a friend I couldn't say no xD)


But, I have no idea how it is done or how it is called!! :( 

Can someone tell me how do you call this technique in english? If I find the name of the technique I can search for tutorials x) 
I am not talking about the ombré effect of the colors. I'm really talking about the frosting. 

Thank you!!


8 replies
MinaBakes Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 1:38am
post #2 of 9



Okay, I jumped the gun and didn't finish reading. I'm not sure if it has a name, but you just press the tip of your cake spatula or a spoon horizontally on the cake.

Alfiesmom Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 1:40am
post #3 of 9

look for youtube of ombre buttercream ruffles.  I just did.  while this doesn't look so 'ruffle-y' that's where you'll find the technique.  good luck

MinaBakes Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 1:44am
post #5 of 9

Or the direct youtube video:

FromScratchSF Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 2:33am
post #6 of 9

Hello!  I did a tutorial featured here for CC:


I'm assuming you need help with the cake part, not the icing?

MinaBakes Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 2:37am
post #7 of 9

No, she said she needs help with the frosting. I'm assuming the effect it has on it..

FromScratchSF Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 2:41am
post #8 of 9

OOPS!  I missed that last sentence.  Yes, that you tube vid is all you need, except don't make your colors so bright.  It's one of the easiest techniques to do!


Good luck,



Vittiglio Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 11:16am
post #9 of 9

Thank you all for the help! :) 

The video really helps  a lot!! :D 

Thank you, thank you thank you!! *_* 

Quote by @%username% on %date%