Making And Storing

Decorating By tigercane2006 Updated 27 Jul 2014 , 2:29pm by Smckinney07

tigercane2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigercane2006 Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 11:05am
post #1 of 3

AHi all,

I've been using these forums for quite some time now and love them. Always so helpful. I've finally come across a question that I have that I can't quite find the answer to. At this point, cakes started as a hobby but within the last year have become more of a little side business for me.

I'm going out of town but of course, that weekend, I got three cake orders. I want to bake and frost them Saturday (7/26) and decorate and deliver them on Sunday (7/27). They will not be served until the following weekend (8/2 & 8/3). I've made cakes before where the cakes didn't end up being served for about 4 days but I've never delivered them so far in advance as these would be. They will all have buttercream, will be covered in fondant, and will involve somewhat intricate decorations.

I'm really nervous about delivering them so far in advance. What is the best way for these people to store the cakes before their ready for use? I don't feel like they need to be frozen or refrigerated but I just need some guidance so the cakes still look and taste good and won't get anyone sick. Thank you!!!

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 3

i am sorry this slipped past your deadline without getting answered -- i think they are holding new posters first posts as a gate keeper action designed to resist gridlock spam we've endured in the past --

anyhow -- what did you decide? some people advise to freeze  -- i like nice fresh eat it up right as soon as i deliver it cakes -- did you use any time temperature controlled fillings or anything like that?

hope it works out great! best to you

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 3

AMany decorators have a difficult time transporting a cake without damages, I can't imagine leaving a cake with intricate details in someone's care a week before their event. I'm just talking about minor touch up's that we are usually prepared for.

I certainly wouldn't want them left out that long, personally. Depending on the size, most people don't have the extra room to store a cake in their fridge. I'm not much help, just things to consider.

I have to plan well in advance for any type of vacation :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%