Need Advice On Making Butterfiles

Decorating By Rapunzil Updated 10 Jul 2014 , 2:18am by -K8memphis

Rapunzil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rapunzil Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 14

How would you approach making butterflies like the ones on this beautiful cake?  Thanks much!

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 14

plan A -- i would want cutters :-D

plan B -- i have a collection of little bitty random cutters (eyelet cutters, snowflake cutter) that i could employ to get that look and probably make a cutter or two --

those really look hand cut to me -- or the product they used dried so that it looks hand cut --

it's very pretty

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 14

by snowflake cutter, i mean it has the little extra cutters to cut out the little bits

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 1:41am
post #4 of 14
drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 3:46am
post #5 of 14

AIt wouldn't look quite the same, but if you didn't want to buy cutters, you could print out a template, cover it with wax or parchment paper, and pipe the wings with candy melts, tempered chocolate or royal icing. Then when the wings are dry, prop them up and pipe the butterfly's body.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 14

I think Cricuit also cuts that type.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaah 

I think Cricuit also cuts that type.

this makes sense because they're graduated sizes

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 14

Here is a site on you tube for making chocolate butterflies. You could also use white chocolate to make the same butterflies like the white ones shown in the picture you posted. Good luck!! I see Drea88 and I are on the same wave length. You can at least see the videos of what the chocolate butterflies look like. They are very pretty!!!

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 14

I have the cricut cake and have used it to cut the smaller butterflies I think they are on the cake basics cartridge,but definitely from the cricut cake. 

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

plan A -- i would want cutters :-D

That would be my only plan!

Rapunzil Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone for the help!  Unfortunately I don't have a cricut machine or much money to spend on special supplies.  So I think I will have to go with the idea of piping them out using royal icing.  I'm just worried they might break easily.  I'm guessing the ones in the picture are made of fondant....?

Rapunzil Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 12:09am
post #12 of 14

Also, what would you expect to pay/charge for, a smaller version of this cake - to feed 15 people?

Thanks much!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 2:12am
post #13 of 14

ARoyal made from egg whites is stronger than the kind made from meringue powder -- adding cream of tartar or gum arabic strengthens it more-- you could pipe chocolate too -- just make extra pieces to allow for breakage-- royal is stronger than you think -- people make buildings out of it (decorations not real ones :)

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 2:16am
post #14 of 14

AI would charge a small fortune to make a three tier hexagonal cake to serve 15 people with those petals & butterflies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%