Help!! Buttercream Fail!

Decorating By ksweetheavens Updated 8 Jul 2014 , 2:31am by Sweetheavens

ksweetheavens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksweetheavens Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 1:06am
post #1 of 8

Please help me!

I'm not sure where my head was today but I proceeded to make a quadruple batch of frosting for upcoming family events.  I calculated each stick of butter  as 1 cup instead of 1/2 cup (duh!) and my end result was super runny frosting (because I added heavy cream).  Can I add softened whipped butter after the fact to thicken it to it's normal consistency? I just don't want to waste a ton more butter if it won't work. :-(

7 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 1:38am
post #2 of 8

Can you show us the whole recipe to see if adding the extra butter is worth it?

Sweetheavens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetheavens Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 2:10am
post #3 of 8

ASingle recipe: 1 1/2 cups butter 3 cups conf. Sugar 2 tbsp heavy cream 1 tbsp vanilla

When I quadrupled I only added 5 tbsp heavy cream and 2 tbsp vanilla.

Thank you :)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 2:13am
post #4 of 8

Your recipe is heavy on the butter - quite rich! You can whip in butter, shortening (nontransfat if you prefer), or just more confectioners' sugar. If your mixer bowl is large enough you should have no problem. When I make buttercream for my family, I don't measure and don't follow a recipe. IMO it's impossible to mess up American buttercream.

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 2:16am
post #5 of 8

AI would cream the butter separately first, then add the mixture to the butter a little add a time. You might end up tossing some of the buttercream soup but will be able to save most of it.

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 2:26am
post #6 of 8

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

Your recipe is heavy on the butter - quite rich! You can whip in butter, shortening (nontransfat if you prefer), or just more confectioners' sugar. If your mixer bowl is large enough you should have no problem. When I make buttercream for my family, I don't measure and don't follow a recipe. IMO it's impossible to mess up American buttercream.

Yes, I believe this type of buttercream is easy to make without a recipe. I typically start with creaming the butter, whatever amount. I then start adding powdered sugar a cup at a time till it is to the consistency I want, and sweetness. Then comes the flavoring, 1 tsp per cup of butter. I then beat the buttercream till it is fluffy and pale, an off white color. Finally the milk or heavy cream, depending on what I have on hand. I pour that in a little a time till it's how I like it.

You just have to know your product. If you know exactly what consistency and sweetness you want, you won't need a recipe.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 2:29am
post #7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaBakes 

I would cream the butter separately first, then add the mixture to the butter a little add a time. You might end up tossing some of the buttercream soup but will be able to save most of it.

I agree with adding the butter slowly. I think it will eventually incorporate the liquid as it emulsifies.

I hope it comes together for you Sweetheavens!

Sweetheavens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetheavens Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 2:31am
post #8 of 8

AThanks all. I'll give it a go. It is heavy on the butter but the end result is 'usually' perfectly light for cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%