Fondant In The Fridge

Decorating By tracie42 Updated 28 Jul 2014 , 2:21pm by FlRugbyChick

tracie42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracie42 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 13

I know I watch too many cake shows, and I see them all put the cake in the fridge that's covered with fondant. Should I put fondant in the fridge. I'm a home decorator and  there is rarely room in the fridge for food let alone cake. Help fridge or no fridge. Thanks

12 replies
sha1col Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sha1col Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 3:43am
post #2 of 13

AI would say no fridge because the moisture will breakdown the fondant since it's primarily made with sugar. I have a cake covered in fondant that I made this past Saturday and it's been sitting out since then and it's fine. I only have it covered by a cake plate. I've uncovered it twice because the heat was starting to make the fondant soft, as well as my fondant and gum paste daisies!

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 4:17am
post #3 of 13

AI refrigerate my fondant covered cakes all the time without issue. Have even frozen a sculpted tackle box cake at customer's request for transporting a 3 hour distance in the heat of summer. Sealed the cake in a box and wrapped in saran and foil. I uncovered the box for a few seconds so she could see it, and gave her explicit instructions not to open the box until it was ready to be served. The cake looked as beautiful as it did before serving as it did prior to popping it in the fridge.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 13

AI refrigerate all my fondant covered cakes. Chilled cakes travel much better, so I only deliver my cakes completely chilled.

I have a second fridge just for cakes. If you begin baking a lot you may want to look into this.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 13

I do not put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge.  I leave them out but in a cake box.  This seems to draw out the moisture and the cakes become very stable to travel.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 13

For years I have been hesitant to put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge.  I would freeze the leftovers and my family always enjoyed them defrosted, but never a cake for customer in the fridge.  This past weekend I did a fondant covered topsy turvy cake that needed to sit out at a pool party, so I refrigerated it as I decorated it and kept it in the fridge until it was time to go.  For travel I put it in a closed cardboard box with a couple packets of desiccant included.  It sat in the box for about an hour and a half in the heat and was PERFECT when it was time to serve.  No condensation, no melted fondant, no air bubbles, nothing!  The only thing I did notice was the SPS plate stuck to the fondant on the bottom tier a bit when I started to lift it off.  Not a big deal, I just used the knife to hold it down as I separated it.  I will be getting a fridge just for cakes ASAP!

FlRugbyChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlRugbyChick Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 1:48am
post #7 of 13

AThe first fondant cake I made I put in the fridge. Every time I took it out it got damp. The day of the party the condensation was so bad that my poor minion was sweating like an nba player in overtime. It might be because I'm in Florida though.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 2:09am
post #8 of 13

I refrigerate all my fondant cakes.  They are boxed and open edges sealed with painters tape to keep humidity to a minimum.  I leave them in the box for at least 2 hours at room temp before opening.  The box absorbs the humidity.  I have never had a problem.

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlRugbyChick 

The first fondant cake I made I put in the fridge. Every time I took it out it got damp. The day of the party the condensation was so bad that my poor minion was sweating like an nba player in overtime. It might be because I'm in Florida though.

RugbyChick, what kind of fondant do you use? I live in South Florida and have never had an issue with refrigerating my fondant covered cakes.

FlRugbyChick Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 13

AI use marshmallow fondant

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 28 Jul 2014 , 12:26am
post #11 of 13

AWeird one for me.. My MMF doesn't sweat when put and taken out of the fridge. But store bought fondant (Virgin Ice - canada) sweats like a pig! Hmmmp!

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 28 Jul 2014 , 12:26am
post #12 of 13

I use Liz Mareck's MMF recipe. Works every time without any type of problem.

FlRugbyChick Posted 28 Jul 2014 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 13

AI didn't use a box either. Maybe that was it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%