Non-Crusting, Room Temp Stable Frosting For Cupcakes?

Baking By banananutmuffin Updated 7 Jul 2014 , 2:12pm by AnnieCahill

banananutmuffin Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 3

Bonus points if it's easy, too! :)

I have always made a crusting buttercream. But my kid's birthday party is "art/painting" themed, and I am putting a plain swirl frosted cupcake in the center of a painting palette and letting each kid "design their own cupcake" with sprinkles, candies, etc. in the palette wells.

Anyhoo, because I want to make sure the sprinkles and such actually stick to the frosting when the kids decorate it, I need something non-crusting. I also need something room temp stable, since these will be sitting out a while.

Any suggestions or recipes that I can use?

Thanks so much!

2 replies
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 2:05am
post #2 of 3

I don't know if this would work but I think there is a high chance it would, just give it a try in advance, if you ice the cupcakes with your normal buttercream the morning of the party, put them in an airtight container until just before the party (this will help stop them crusting properly) then when the kids are ready to decorate them give them a misting of water from a spray bottle so that they are dampened a little (not wet) and this should make them sticky enough for sprinkles etc.

Another option is to use your regular crusting buttercream then apply a small amount of liquid ganache (just warm it in the microwave to a liquid but not warm state) to each cupcake as the children decorate - just get the other parents to help out with this step then let the kids go nuts decorating the sticky ganache.

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 3

Anything all butter will be fine for a few days at room temp.  To keep it from crusting, just reduce the sugar (believe me it will still be sweet) and then add some warm whipping cream to it.  I do this all the time for my cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%