Help With Transport Decorated Wedding Cake Question!

Decorating By ch5964 Updated 7 Jul 2014 , 2:18pm by Dayti

ch5964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch5964 Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone,

I have a simple 2 tier BC wedding cake to make this week. The Bride will be traveling with it for 6 hours until her destination. I will box and separate the tiers. I have told her I would freeze the cakes and that she will need to have a cooler filled with ice to keep them cold.

Here are my questions:

How to properly freeze iced and decorated tiers for transport?

What should I use in cake boxes so tiers do not slide around in box?

Hope that made sense; and thank you all for your help :)

Cathy

5 replies
CraftyCassie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyCassie Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 4:19am
post #2 of 6

AWow! That's a long way to travel! I couldn't do it.

Who's going to stack and finish edges? Will she hold you responsible if anything happens?

All I know to do is search internet for "shipping" cakes. Good luck! Let us know.

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 9:08am
post #3 of 6

I foresee so many problems with the ice chest route.

All I am picturing is showing up 6 hours later to an ice chest of half melted ice and two soggy boxes with dissolved cake in them.

If it it only two tiers, I would honestly stack them myself, then freeze.  It is easier and safer for everyone involved.

The trick with freezing decorated cakes is the think of moisture as your enemy (seriously, get a dartboard, glue a picture of moisture on it, and let the darts fly.  Get angry with it).  What you are going to want to do if create a tiered cake box using a large moving box, or even a commercially available tiered cake box.  See tutorial below, but leave out the dry ice, maybe add a few moisture control bags (those small bags of beads that come in certain kinds of foods) and of course add a non-skid mat under the cake.

Then you are going to wrap it like a Christmas present for someone you don't like very much (To:  Moisture  From:  Travis).  Start by wrapping the entire box in foil.  Twice.  Being sure to seal it up with healthy amounts of tape.  Then you are going to plastic wrap it.  Twice.  Then you can go a head and pop the whole thing in the freezer.

Wrapping it up will prevent any of the outside hot air to actually penetrate the force field you just created.  If the cake was frozen solid at the start of the 6 hour journey, it should hold up more than fine.  I just refrigerate my cakes, and they would even hold up decently with that time frame so you will have no problems.

ch5964 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 6

Hi Nerdy Baker ( love the name:) )

Your idea is right on; in my opinion. It is exactly what I am going to do. It is only 2 tiers; will assemble, stack, put on a slightly larger cake board, decorate and freeze those bad boys. It should not slip in the car ( I hope not anyway!)

Luckily, it is is a very simple design; just worried about the heat and the bouncing in the car for 6 hours. Bride is aware of the dangers; says she has an Aunt that can help when she gets there.

Here is the next problem; Bride driving there on Thursday; wedding not until Saturday. I have already told her when she gets there to put cake in fridge asap; and take out a couple hours before the wedding.

I am going to crumb coat with chocolate ganache; hopefully that will help keep cake as fresh tasting as possible.

If you have any other ideas or suggestions; I would love to hear them !

Thanks again,

Cathy :)

ch5964 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 6

Hi CraftyCassie,

I'm not super thrilled...will be a nervous wreck hoping and wondering if cake makes it safely.. But Bride is aware of the many potential issues..Will keep you posted; keep fingers crossed!! LOL!

Cathy

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 6

Tell her she HAS to have AC on in the car, and for her to wear a sweater if necessary. Cake should travel on the floor of the car - either in the passenger footwell, or in the trunk if the AC can get to it. Never let it travel on the seat, even if you do put a seatbelt round it, since the cake will be travelling at an angle. Non-slip matting under the cake inside the wrapped box, and another piece on the floor for the box to sit on. 

And if she stops for food or whatever on the journey, not to leave the cake in the car on a hot day, even if the car is parked in the shade. She should take the box inside. A bit like going on a 6 hour journey with a baby or a dog. And to drive like she has a raw egg on the dashboard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%