How Do I Practice Cake Decorating?

Decorating By Larrishathomas Updated 19 Aug 2014 , 2:15pm by msbelle21

Larrishathomas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrishathomas Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 10

I love to make cakes and there is so many designs I would like to try. The problem is I don't have anyone to make cakes for. If i make a cake for the house my boys won't eat it (their not much into sweets). How do I go about practicing cake decorating with no orders or events to make them for? I intern at a bakery but I'm only allowed to prep never decorate. Any advice?

9 replies
roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 8:22am
post #2 of 10

You could buy some dummy cakes to decorate and cover. They are made from polystyrene, if you rub trex over them before putting sugarpaste on you will be able to remove it and reuse the dummy.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 11:38am
post #3 of 10

Agood idea and another is: you could donate your efforts to police stations, fire houses, to hospital staff also to 911 dispatch

best to you

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 10

If you want to practice piping you can just turn a pan upside down with some non-skid under it, pipe all over it and then scrape it off and re use it again and again. 

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 10

That's a good idea from k8memphis to donate the cakes you make for practice, I take mine to my Nan's care home for the residents.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 10

I went to You Tube and typed in cakes, decorated cakes, icing flowers, icing roses, cake flowers, cake borders, icing borders, etc. You can watch the videos of how they hold the tips to make the flowers and see what tips they are using. Then like someone else here said you can either use wax paper or cake pans to practice on. 

I am an on hands person and it is easier for me when you actually see how they hold the tips and how they move them when making borders or flowers. Once you practice, it will become easier and easier for you. Don't give up and keep your faith!!! Once you learn, I am sure there are people in your family besides your kids who would love to eat cake once you actually start to make them. Good luck!!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 1:28am
post #7 of 10

When I was just starting, I would use the cake pan itself. Turn the pan upside down on a separator plate, board or other flat item, Ice it and practice decorating techniques. It worked. And since it was a clean surface, I could scrape off and start over.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 2:25am
post #8 of 10

I've decorated cupcakes, scraped off the icing, and decorated them again and again...just to practice.

Same thing with an 8" cake.  You have to be a little gentle with it, but I'm not in business so I'm not selling anything.  You can do the same thing........decorate, scrape some off and redecorate....just for practice.

Why not?  as Bob Ross said, "It's your world".

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 10

I used to turn over cake pans and use plain crisco to practice piping.  Worked great until my son rushed in, took a big finger full and popped it into his mouth.

msbelle21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbelle21 Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 10

ADonating is a great idea. You could also do a search in your area and see if any children's homes or charities take cakes, especially on children's birthdays. There are some charities that specifically take cake donations and they are always need of bakers and decorators.

You can donate to friends and family on Facebook as well.

If all else fails, make 6" rounds, decorate them, eat them yourself, and enroll at your nearest gym. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%