Grainy Texture ....

Decorating By NetworkZombie Updated 7 Jul 2014 , 7:06pm by just4fun26

NetworkZombie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NetworkZombie Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 9:38am
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone, 

I am stumped, and after some expert advice. When ever I make butter cream for a cake it has a grainy texture to the taste. Surely I must be doing something wrong? It's suppose to be creamy and smooth. I live in Australia and I use Pure icing sugar when making butter cream. I don't make butter cream often. I usually just fill my cakes with ganache. But would love to know how to perfect butter cream. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!  

2 replies
8oak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
8oak Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 3

I don't claim to be an expert, but I've made a lot of buttercream over the years. I'm not sure you can completely eliminate the grainy texture that comes from powdered sugar, but I've found that making it a few days ahead helps a lot; the sugar seems to dissolve more as the icing "rests." This is the recipe I've been using lately, and I like it quite a bit. 

. If you want completely smooth buttercream, you can't beat Swiss or Italian meringue. Hope that helps!

just4fun26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun26 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 3

AI was told that using pure cane sugar makes it less grainy. I use it and mine isn't that grainy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%