Peeling Boiled Eggs, Something New To Me

Lounge By MBalaska Updated 11 Jul 2014 , 6:10pm by clare2582

MBalaska Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 13

Read an interesting tip for making it easier to peel the shells off boiled eggs. It said to put some Baking Soda in the cold water, actually I forgot how much it said by the time I got home.  So I Put a half teaspoon of Baking Soda in the water and boiled them as usual. (Something about lowering the PH of the shell making it not stick to the egg so much.)  And not to use fresh eggs.

It also said to tap the fat end of the egg and crack the shell after they are cooked and let them sit in the hot water just a minute.  I did this and I could see little bubbles of air escape.

I only boiled 5 eggs, as I've lost so many boiled eggs lately, that I'd almost given up on them.

They all peeled perfectly well.  Hope this experiment repeats successfully in the future.:-)

12 replies
MBalaska Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 12:13am
post #2 of 13

DOH   :duh:    Peelin' boiled eggs isn't new to me.....I just realized how that silly that the title sounded.

It was the method that was new.

RedneckRuffle Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 1:13am
post #3 of 13

AMy method's slightly different. I put water in a pot, then run to the store and buy a bag of boiled eggs. I can not, NOT, peel one without taking 3 months off my lifespan, minimum. I just got an eye twitch just thinking about peeling boiled eggs. ;(

craftybanana Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 1:16am
post #4 of 13

Interesting, I roll them on the counter with just enough pressure to make lots of little cracks all over it, then I start at the big end and it just peels right off in a spiral or in big chunks. Haven't heard about the baking soda trick though :)

cazza1 Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 3:37am
post #5 of 13

THANKYOU MB, I will have to try this.  I cannot peel eggs for the life of me.  I have tried so many 'tricks' from the internet but none have worked consistently.  Maybe yours will.

heatherkelly Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 5:26am
post #6 of 13

AI put baking soda in the water before it starts to boil then boil the eggs when finished I cooled them they all peeled perfectly it does work

MBalaska Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 9:01am
post #7 of 13

craftybanana the crack and peel is also a trick that used to work for me, it's pretty cool actually.  You have to get under that little thin membrane as soon as you get the first piece of shell off.  It just hasn't worked recently.

cazza1 I'm going to boil a few more eggs tomorrow and try to repeat the test.  Good Luck to both of us !!

Deviled Eggs are heavenly and so attractive with the yolks piped on with a big open-star tip and a sprinkle of Hungarian paprika.  Especially when made with that Tangy Zip of Miracle Whip.

MBalaska Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 13 only 3 out of 4 peeled well.  So maybe it's not a perfect fix.

lot's of paprika for me today.

Deviled eggs with Paprika

Dayti Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 13

I am a crack and roll type person too, and yes, fresh eggs do NOT peel well! Another trick, but unrelated to peeling them...if you put a splash of vinegar in the water the yolks magically centre themselves in the whites. 

IAmPamCakes Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 2:00am
post #10 of 13

AOld eggs have been the only thing that works for me. Like weeks old. I don't remember store bought eggs giving me fits like my own chickens' eggs do.

JWinslow Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 3:19am
post #11 of 13

I don't add anything to the water but peel them when they are hot under fairly hot water.  Seems to work for me.

cai0311 Posted 11 Jul 2014 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 13

ARegular eggs peel so easily for me, but the free range organic eggs are horrible to peel. I get so frustrated when I peel those. And believe me, I have tried every trick in the book (book as in the internet) to make it easier but nothing works.

clare2582 Posted 11 Jul 2014 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 13

I started doing the baking soda trick too, and it really works! I just sprinkle some in the pot, I don't measure.  I do agree, eggs need to be not superfresh as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%