Made A Mistake In The Filling For A Cake Due Tomorrow, What Would You Do?

Business By FrostedMoon Updated 5 Jul 2014 , 6:17pm by remnant3333

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 2:58am
post #1 of 9

I just realized a cake that is being picked up at 10am tomorrow should be filled with pink buttercream instead of the white buttercream I put in.  The flavor of the buttercream is correct, just not the color.  I don't think I can tear the cake apart to put pink in without destroying the layers, but I don't want to rebake it at this point either.  Should I just email the customer and notify of my mistake and offer a discount?  What would you do?

Thanks in advance

8 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 3:03am
post #2 of 9

Too bad you are not the one cutting the cake, you could figure out a way to make each slice look pink inside…

I would email the customer and offer a small discount.  How important was the color of the buttercream?  Sometimes something like that is not that big of a deal and the customer will be okay with it.

Good luck!

FrostedMoon Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 3:21am
post #3 of 9

Thanks.

She wanted pink so it would be "special" for her little girl when it was cut.  It's a Frozen inspired cake, so it's blue buttercream on the outside.  I'm not a big fan of colored filling without a flavor to match because I think people then expect a flavor other than the vanilla it is, but I agreed because it is what the customer wanted.  

It's an 8" round with a sculpted Olaf figure on top, standing "5" and a 2D picture made out of fondant on the side, plus some standard fondant snowflakes.  I'm charging $95.  How much should I discount it?  Take $15 or $20 off or is that too much?  

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 3:34am
post #4 of 9

AI would just email the client and tell them what happened, and I wouldn't offer a discount.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 3:34am
post #5 of 9

Stick it in the freezer until its really firm. Put it on the turntable and using a knife,   carefully slice through the top layer of cake where the frosting ends, then take off the icing and repeat. I cant tell you how many time this has happened at the bakery because the front end wrote down the wrong filling, hth.

Good Luck!

FrostedMoon Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the advice!  I did try freezing it and cutting it apart, but I was worried the cake would still break so I left it.  I was able to do a thick crumb coat in pink and then cover in blue as originally planned.  I emailed the customer to apologize and offered to take $10.  The customer totally blew the mistake off, refused the discount, and ended up paying me more than I originally charged as a tip.  Phew!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedMoon 

Thanks for the advice!  I did try freezing it and cutting it apart, but I was worried the cake would still break so I left it.  I was able to do a thick crumb coat in pink and then cover in blue as originally planned.  I emailed the customer to apologize and offered to take $10.  The customer totally blew the mistake off, refused the discount, and ended up paying me more than I originally charged as a tip.  Phew!

So glad everything worked out for you! ;-D

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 1:51am
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostedMoon 

Yay!  It's alway nice when something ends well.  ;-D

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 9

So glad it worked out!!! That is the type of customer that everyone loves to have!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%