Monopoly Edible Logo

Decorating By ceeleen Updated 30 Jun 2014 , 8:27pm by hbquikcomjamesl

ceeleen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceeleen Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 7

Hi!

I'm quite new in the cake decorating business and a friend of mine is asking me to make her a monopoly game board themed cake. My question is does anyone know where can I buy (online) a monopoly logo edible print out? Thank you so much. :D

6 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 7

Have your tried contacting the copyright owner of the logo?  I believe it is Hasbro...

They would be able to give you permission to create an edible image.  Most likely if you can't find one, they haven't given anyone permission to use it in that manner.

You may need to show them examples of previous works that would let them know how their image may turn out.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 7

ASince the logo is copyright, you are going to have a tough time finding anyone print one for you - even with approval from the company. I have my local grocery store bakery print my edible images for me, but they won't do anyting that is a copy right - even if I have approval.

Sorry I couldn't really be of any help.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 7

Actually, while the Monopoly logo may or may not be in copyright, it's certainly a trademark, and probably registered. Trademark owners can have very laid-back attitudes about inherently harmless usage (edible printing, model trains, and so forth), or they can be downright nasty.

For my own part, when emailing image files to the local cake supply shop, I (without being asked, simply as a matter of course) include a statement, certifying under penalty of perjury, that all content is either Public Domain, Creative Commons, or General Public License, or that I am myself the copyright owner, or that (in the case of Leland Award images and the International Printing Museum logo) I am a legitimate representative of the copyright owner, acting on their behalf.

Some years ago, when preparing a 50th wedding anniversary DVD, I had 8mm footage that my family owned outright, and video footage that my best friend owned outright (and placed at my disposal for the project), all transferred to non-copy-protected DVD, and needed software to import that footage into my Mac. I posted a query on Apple's support board, and what I got was a series of replies referring me to software that (1) didn't do what I needed, and (2) was specifically intended to circumvent copy protection. Then the thread got locked, and the referrals deleted, with the final message on the thread a moderator message warning that discussions of such software would not be tolerated.

When I reposted the query, I was a good deal more specific about my needs, stated in so many words that the software to which I was referred before did not serve them, and included a warning that I would report any referrals to copy-protection-circumvention software to the mods myself.

Bottom line: in the current hyper-litigious climate, with the current skewing of intellectual property law to disproportionately favor large corporations, playing fast-and-loose with intellectual property is not a good idea.

ceeleen Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for the input.. I do appreciate it. :smile:

ceeleen Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you very much for the input everyone. I am learning a lot from this short query that I posted. I have totally no idea about the laws of limitations of such. Your input are very much appreciated. :smile:

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 7

Just remember: I am not an attorney, and neither do I play one on television. And I suspect that the same is true of most if not all CC subscribers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%