Fondant Cupcake Topper Help?

Baking By katespate Updated 29 Jun 2014 , 11:35pm by FrostedMoon

katespate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katespate Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 4

AHi all! A friend asked to make a round fondant topper with the letter G. She wants chocolate cupcakes with a round topper standing in a swirl of chocolate buttercream. My question is: If I make these in advance (which I think I need to do in order to get them to stand firmly or add gumpaste) won't they be rock hard or inedible? Do people make their fondant toppers hard? Will kids eat that or do they need to be soft? How far in advance can I make them? Thanks for any advice!

3 replies
FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 4

I make my toppers using home made marshmallow fondant.  If made ahead the toppers will get firm enough to stand up, but not crunchy like gumpaste would. I can't speak to how other types of fondant would be once dry, though.   People always remark at how good my toppers are, and are almost always eaten right up with the cupcake.  I've even shipped them and gotten those compliments, so those were at least 2 weeks old before being enjoyed.

katespate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katespate Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 4

AThank You. Does anyone ever make them crunchy though? So that they will for sure hold up in the heat?

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 4

If you want them hard and crunchy, you can mix a bit of gumpaste with your fondant.  They won't taste as good, but not horrible and will hold up well in the heat.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%