Vertical And Horizontal Stripes

Decorating By stilts23 Updated 29 Jun 2014 , 1:16pm by cherrycakes

stilts23 Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 12:28am
post #1 of 7

Hi does anyone know the best way to add horizontal or vertical stripes to a ganached cake?? Is it better the cover the whole cake first in fondant than add stripes or cut a top than add stripes directly to the gnanche.  cheers

6 replies
Snotface14 Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 1:05am
post #2 of 7

I've added stripes of fondant directly onto Ganache before with no problems at all, just used a smear of piping gel to attach :-D

Faradaye Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 11:10am
post #3 of 7

AI did this one...[IMG ALT="I made this cake for myself! I love the way the colors turned out, and it's only my second try at making flowers."][/IMG]

By adding the stripes direct onto the ganache. I actually turned the cake upside down to do it, which made it easier for me to get a straight top edge.

stilts23 Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 6:33am
post #4 of 7

bubs1stbirthday Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 7:17am
post #5 of 7

I don't know how well this works as I have never done it myself but I have seen people give advice about freezing the fondant for a few minutes so that the fondant is firmer and less likely to stretch out of shape when you apply it.

morganchampagne Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 8:12am
post #6 of 7

AIf possible use modeling chocolate it doesn't stretch like fondant will.

cherrycakes Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 7

Jessica Harris has incredible tutorials on Craftsy for this type of design. She uses a wax paper method that works really well for horizontal stripes. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%