2 Colors Of Icing

Decorating By koneal84 Updated 28 Jun 2014 , 7:04pm by koneal84

koneal84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koneal84 Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 9

AI have been asked to make this cake but not sure how to put the white icing like the picture. I've looked on YouTube because I am a visual person. If you could help me with how to put white buttercream over the blue like the picture would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3255557/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

8 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 9

AI believe that the white part is fondant? I'm on my phone so I can't really see. You would just roll out fondant...use a pizza cutter Or exacto knife to make those wavy edges and lay it over the top

koneal84 Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 9

AI've thought about that but it is not smooth Luke fondant would be

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 9

AIs there some reason you have HAVE to do it like the picture? Fondant would be the most efficient way to do it in my opinion.

koneal84 Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 9

ACustomer wants it like that and no fondant

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 9

You would need a crusting buttercream to do this. Put some in an icing bag and snip the end off. First I would do the outline on the edges, the wavy bit (you could mark the fondant first if you need a line to follow). Then fill the sides in and do the top. Using an icing bag with a small opening will ensure you have pretty much the same thickness of icing. Wait for it to crust then go over it with either paper towel and a smoother, or a clean (and never used for paint) foam roller. You could actually add bigger blobs of icing in some places if you specifically want lumps and bumps in it. 

koneal84 Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 12:18am
post #7 of 9

AThank you. What size tip would you use if you are talking a small tip? I use the viva paper towel method all the time

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 3:32am
post #8 of 9

I suggest using a tip around 7 or 9 - something like that.  It depends on how much pressure you have when piping.  I know many times I'd see someone's work and think they used a much smaller tip than they did because they don't have the pressure I did. 

I worked mostly in b'cream so to me it would not be all that hard to recreate something like this in all b'cream :)

Cover the sides of the cake w/blue icing, then ice the top.  You can do that w/a spatula or pipe blobs and smooth them as much or little as you want.  Let the white icing fall over the top edge and fill in with piping.  Again, smooth w/spatula &'/or paper towel.

koneal84 Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 9

AThank you so much for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%