Have Anyone Ever Made Black And White Cookies From A White Mix?!

Baking By JackiSto Updated 29 Jul 2014 , 2:48pm by Kathy107

JackiSto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiSto Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 5

Well... that's my question... lol Has anyone ever tried this??? I have it in my head that it will work... I haven't found a good vanilla cake that works for me yet, so I was going to give a mix a go with B&W cookies!

4 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 5

Chocolate cake is also a good base for Black & Whites. I don't use mixes. I make either my chocolate cake or yellow cake recipe for these cookies and add enough flour to make a very thick batter.

JackiSto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiSto Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 5

AI make a stellar chocolate cake! But for some reason my white and yellow scratch cakes always have the texture of cornbread! I'll try thickening my batter up with some cake flour.

ElizaW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizaW Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 5

Never made them from a mix.  I have made them with a recipe from Brown Eyed Baker.  Not sure if she posts here or not but I can attest to the recipe being right on target with the NY bakery B&W cookies.  Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not, here is a link to her recipe:

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2013/04/25/black-and-white-cookies-recipe/#comment-995997

I have made these numerous times for my late mother (originally from Upstate NY) and a good friend from the Bronx.  They both agreed that they were exactly the same as what they used to get from the NY deli's.  Mom said even better!

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 5

Arthur Schwartz's Black and White Cookie Recipe is the best.  I tried several others.  Scroll down on the link for full recipe.

http://recipes.findthebest.com/l/7127/Black-And-Whites

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%