How To Handle Small Town Competition?

Decorating By bethosu7

bethosu7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethosu7 Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 1

AI'm from a small town! About 4,000 in my town and about 15,000 in the town 10 min away from me. On Facebook, we have a classifieds site and there is where I see a bunch of home bakers. There are no cake shops that I know of. Only Walmart and homeland (a grocery store).

I'm just starting my company. It's a home based cake bakery. My problem is, I have a hard time competing with other people's prices! I will look on Facebook and see these other home bakers giving ridiculously cheap prices for cakes! I'm talking a fully decorated three tiered cake for $50! And fondant covered ones for $75!!! Most the time, I see the cakes and I would never serve them! I'm a perfectionist and those just aren't good cakes. I know the cost and time that goes into these cakes, and I would go in the hole selling them for $50!!

Since we are a smaller town, people want smaller prices! But that just means it's harder for me to get supplies! I have to order them in, and that makes them more expensive! Also, people will come to me and want walmart prices. I try to tell them, no one can compare to a big box store like that, but they don't understand. It's just that's all people know because that's all we have!

It's so bad that I made cupcakes for a birthday party the other day, and this little boy asked me, "is this real icing?!?" It was just a basic chocolate icing, and I said yes. He said, "oh well it tastes better than real icing! The kind we get never tastes this good!" Poor kid probably has only ever had Walmart icing!!

Anyway, thank you for your help everyone! This is my first post after stalking this site for the past week! Lol a

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%