Cake Fact Or Myth???

Decorating By BakersGuy Updated 26 Jun 2014 , 1:24pm by -K8memphis

BakersGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakersGuy Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 14

Hello All

I was just watching a video and heard something that made me reach for clarity from some of the most knowledgeable bakers I know!  Family I need help with this one.

Someone said to me  "Do not grease and/or flour side of cake pans," doing this will cause your cakes to NOT rise properly".

Now I am new at this and have soooo much to learn but has anyone ever heard this before?

Thanks!

Bakersguy

13 replies
maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 14

ANever heard of that before Bakersguy. I'm an amateur decorator but I've been baking for years. I never flour my tins, only grease and sometimes line with grease proof depending what I'm making. I do grease the sides, no problem with cakes rising. :-)

slun4ogledka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slun4ogledka Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 14

I have heard it as well . Usually this method is used if you are baking sponge or  genoise cakes ( no leveling ingredients in the batter) . The idea is the batter to grab on the sides of the pan while in the oven. It helps the cake not to shrink after is baked and cooled down . HTH 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 14

^ this.  Do not grease the sides of an angelfood type cake.  Otherwise, yes, grease the sides.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 14

i just line the bottom of the pan with parchment for tier cakes, no grease -- and beyond that i grease bundt pans, baking quick breads and pound cakes in loaf pans--

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 14

I use cake release on the sides of my pans and parchment on the bottom.  My cakes rise beautifully.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 14

Yes this is true, and I have experimented to find the perfect amount of cake release. Too much and the cake won't rise as much.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 14

trivia--the cookbook i consulted fifty years ago to bake brownies said not to grease the sides of the pan just the bottom of it--i was scandalized at the time

but i never incorporated it into my career until decades later

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 1:06am
post #9 of 14

I line the bottom of the pans and don't grease or flour the sides regardless of what kind of cake  it is.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 3:01am
post #10 of 14

Here is what I do 1. mix corn oil with flour to the consistency of thicker  than buttermilk. 2. Brush sides and bottom of pan.  

I use this method for sponge cakes. I have baked sponge cakes for years, if you do not add enough flour to sponge cake recipe it will sink in the middle and it doesn`t matter if you grease pans or not, that`s my experience with sponge cakes. 

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 3:04am
post #11 of 14

I am only a hobby decorator, and I know how to make cakes from scracht, I took classes to learn. But since I was eleven years I have make box cakes and I always butter and flour bottom and sides of pan. My cakes have always come out perfect.Lately in addition of buttering and flour I also line the bottom . Maybe it is because I have all this time in my hands!!LOL(retire now)

CIAO!

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 14

I never grease my pans, just parchment on the bottom.  I will occasionally line the sides with parchment as well, depends on the cake.

Since we all do different things, and everyone has a reason, do what you are comfortable with.  Or experiment a bit then use the method that works best for you.

Every baker will have different answers, but we do what works for us.  I don't believe there are any hard, fast rules.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 14

some of us haven't made a bundt cake in a while :-D 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsGF 

I don't believe there are any hard, fast rules.

i think that's ^^^ the only hard and fast rule ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%