Cake Fact Or Myth???

Decorating By BakersGuy Updated 26 Jun 2014 , 1:24pm by -K8memphis

BakersGuy Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 14

Hello All

I was just watching a video and heard something that made me reach for clarity from some of the most knowledgeable bakers I know!  Family I need help with this one.

Someone said to me  "Do not grease and/or flour side of cake pans," doing this will cause your cakes to NOT rise properly".

Now I am new at this and have soooo much to learn but has anyone ever heard this before?

13 replies
maisie73 Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 14

ANever heard of that before Bakersguy. I'm an amateur decorator but I've been baking for years. I never flour my tins, only grease and sometimes line with grease proof depending what I'm making. I do grease the sides, no problem with cakes rising. :-)

slun4ogledka Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 14

I have heard it as well . Usually this method is used if you are baking sponge or  genoise cakes ( no leveling ingredients in the batter) . The idea is the batter to grab on the sides of the pan while in the oven. It helps the cake not to shrink after is baked and cooled down . HTH 

leah_s Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 14

^ this.  Do not grease the sides of an angelfood type cake.  Otherwise, yes, grease the sides.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 14

i just line the bottom of the pan with parchment for tier cakes, no grease -- and beyond that i grease bundt pans, baking quick breads and pound cakes in loaf pans--

maybenot Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 14

I use cake release on the sides of my pans and parchment on the bottom.  My cakes rise beautifully.

FioreCakes Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 14

Yes this is true, and I have experimented to find the perfect amount of cake release. Too much and the cake won't rise as much.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 14

trivia--the cookbook i consulted fifty years ago to bake brownies said not to grease the sides of the pan just the bottom of it--i was scandalized at the time

but i never incorporated it into my career until decades later

costumeczar Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 1:06am
post #9 of 14

I line the bottom of the pans and don't grease or flour the sides regardless of what kind of cake  it is.

Natka81 Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 3:01am
post #10 of 14

Here is what I do 1. mix corn oil with flour to the consistency of thicker  than buttermilk. 2. Brush sides and bottom of pan.  

I use this method for sponge cakes. I have baked sponge cakes for years, if you do not add enough flour to sponge cake recipe it will sink in the middle and it doesn`t matter if you grease pans or not, that`s my experience with sponge cakes. 

soledad Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 3:04am
post #11 of 14

I am only a hobby decorator, and I know how to make cakes from scracht, I took classes to learn. But since I was eleven years I have make box cakes and I always butter and flour bottom and sides of pan. My cakes have always come out perfect.Lately in addition of buttering and flour I also line the bottom . Maybe it is because I have all this time in my hands!!LOL(retire now)

MsGF Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 14

I never grease my pans, just parchment on the bottom.  I will occasionally line the sides with parchment as well, depends on the cake.

Since we all do different things, and everyone has a reason, do what you are comfortable with.  Or experiment a bit then use the method that works best for you.

Every baker will have different answers, but we do what works for us.  I don't believe there are any hard, fast rules.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 14

some of us haven't made a bundt cake in a while :-D 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 14

Originally Posted by MsGF 

I don't believe there are any hard, fast rules.

i think that's ^^^ the only hard and fast rule ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%