Butter Cream Disasters In South Carolina Humility

Decorating By crystal132 Updated 10 Jul 2014 , 5:09am by NutmegTreats

crystal132 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystal132 Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 13

Okay, I live in South Carolina and My butter cream have not been crusting due to the humanity. My tried all shortening butter cream and I am not a fan how it stays soft. Ive tried the meringue powder into it also and it was still just buttery and it will get soft out of fridge. If anyone can suggest a good butter cream or anything for this weather please help:) Thank you!

12 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 13

INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED BUTTERCREAM--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):

(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/)
Single Batch Recipe:

1-1/3 cups Crisco (BETTER: store brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats, or BEST, a specialty cake supply product called high-ratio shortening. As of 2010 Crisco no longer contains trans-fats.)

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar
IndyDebi says: “There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.”

NOTE: Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.

My cousin RICKI'S CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM that she's used for 30 years in hot, humid Kansas:
Ricki's Crusting Buttercream (high-heat, high-humidity)
1 cup + 4 TBSP water
2 cup Crisco (use high-ratio shortening if you have it)
½ tsp popcorn salt
1 tsp butter flavor
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp clear vanilla
8 tsp meringue powder
4 TBSP cake flour
1 cup corn starch
4 lb. C&H sifted powdered sugar
The recipe above is a double batch. Any leftover icing will be ok in the fridge/freezer.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 13

Sharon Zabito recipes also. She lives in Louisiana!!!

crystal132 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystal132 Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 3:01am
post #4 of 13

I will try them thank you!:) And sharons!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 3:19am
post #5 of 13

Here's a quick tip.  When Crisco changed their recipe we all complained.  On their site they published a quick fix.  Add a couple heaping tablespoons full of plain old flour.  This seems to work very well.

alexius007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alexius007 Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 13

Ever since they started taking the trans fats out of Crisco and other shortenings, I can't get buttercream made with it to be anything but soft and goopy, even in the dry desert where I live.  Hi-ratio shortening has made all the difference.  Even though it's not as convenient and is more expensive with the shipping involved, I won't make shortening BC without it.

random user Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
random user Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 13

I was discussing this with 2 very experienced bakers. I explained that the trans fat raised the melting point and they argued that it did nothing more than create and emulsion and that all shortenings have a melting point of 117 degrees. I know better though from personal experience.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 13

A

Original message sent by DeniseNH

Here's a quick tip.  When Crisco changed their recipe we all complained.  On their site they published a quick fix.  Add a couple heaping tablespoons full of plain old flour.  This seems to work very well.

Wat? I can use regular crisco and ad two tablespoons of all purpose flour to my recipe and hage good results! WOW thanks I got to try this, high ratio shortening it's so expensive

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 13

Yes, try the flour it really does help.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 13

A

Original message sent by DeniseNH

Yes, try the flour it really does help.

thanks!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 13

AI'm in charleston as well. What part are you?

Using high ratio shortening can really help. There are a few suppliers her in Charleston.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks DeniseNH for the flour tip!!! I will try this. Does this flour affect piping flowers in any way?

I live in North Charleston, S.C. So, I understand how bad the heat is here!!! It gets pretty hot here especially with the humidity factor which makes it feel hotter than the actual temperature.   If anyone else tries the flour please let us know what you think of it with piping.

Delicious Desserts, If you don't mind me asking, who are the suppliers for high ratio shortening here in Charleston? I am not sure if you would be able to tell me but you can't blame me for at least asking.  Do they only sell to people who are in business or would they sell to anyone? I have googled high ratio shortening for sale in Chas, S. C. and I have not found anything of anyone selling that here in Chas.

Thanks

NutmegTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NutmegTreats Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 5:09am
post #13 of 13

AIs the Indy Debi icing able to be mixed with SMBC 50/50 or 60/40? Do it blend well? Any separation? Taste good together?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%