I am planning to make a lemon curd blueberry layer cake for my daughters birthday party this weekend. My question is, can I use coloring gel to make this frosting recipe purple or will the ingredients cause it to ruin it?
- By Sweetapolita
- 1 cup (2 sticks)(227 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) lemon zest
- 5 cups (625 g) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) whipping cream (35% cream)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25) pure lemon extract
- a pinch of salt
- yellow food gel, optional (this is what makes me think that coloring it might be okay)
the lemon zest and salt might make it look speckled but sure you can color it --
I just want to make sure it won't look all curdled and stuff.
i have made purple icing a zillion times but not with zest--zest will not curdle food colored icings that i've ever known-- i think it probably will look speckled--not completely smooth due to the zest-- if icing is made wrong it will look curdled-- usually it's meringue icings that curdle not this type of recipe--there are no guarantees of course -- but highly unlikely --
to allay your fears just take a couple tablespoons of icing and color that--wait a few hours for it to season up and see how you like it --
best to you in purple and all the other colors too ♥
I've made this frosting too many times to count and yes you can color it without problems.
Thank you all! Excited to make this cake...