Drying Figures

Decorating By vicky764 Updated 24 Jun 2014 , 9:39pm by winniemog

vicky764 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky764 Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 7

AI am making Olaf for a cake. I have let the parts dry for around an hour before putting them onto the bamboo stick. I have put quite a bit of cmc in the sugarpaste and they seem to be hardening pretty quickly. Am I leaving long enough drying time between stages? I have the head drying on a separate stick.

I have also stuck the figure to a base of sugarpaste/cmc to help it stand up on the cake but am a bit worries about taking it off of my stylo foam as the stick goes into the foam (I figured it should do seen as I want to attach it to the cake as best I can) just a bit worried that the whole thing will fall apart when I try and move it off of the stylo foam, anyone had this happen? Does sugarpaste stick to foam?

Sorry if I'm banging on. Already done one of these and it fell over and broke, hence the reason I've glued it to a base.

Help would be appreciated.[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3254419/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

6 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 7

AYou are leaving enough drying time between stages if the pieces are holding their shape and not sagging when the next piece is added. I would let the whole body harden prior to adding the pre-dried head though. Lots of CMC is your friend, so long as you still have enough working time to develop the shapes you want.

Sugarpaste and foam don't usually stick together, but I usually put down a sprinkle of icing sugar on the foam before placing the base piece, and I might work the stick in and out of the foam several times, to make sure I don't break the delicate figure by needing too much force to remove it.

Go back now, release what you've done, make the stick's hole a bit bigger with another stick, lay down some icing (sorry, powdered) sugar and replace your model.should be good to go.

And he looks great by the way!

vicky764 Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 7

AThanks so much. Here I go! I hope to god this doesn't fall apart now :/

vicky764 Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 7

AAll done ( can't believe how nerve racking it all is lol) the top body came away from the bottom so I brushed a bit of edible glue between and stuck back together.

Now just to figure out how the hell I'm going to cut the stick without ruining everything, it's slightly long for the head. So annoying when you realise these things too late - all a learning curve though.

Those sticks are so hard to cut

winniemog Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 7

AI use kitchen scissors - yes sometimes I struggle with getting the correct length too! You know, the scissors that come with a knife block and can be used to cup up chicken etc. leave the model in the foam, hold the scissors at right angles to the stick and one firm snip, you'll be ok!

vicky764 Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 7

AI had better invest in some better scissors I think lol. Mine are old and very blunt. thanks for your help x

winniemog Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 7

AThat's ok, helping you out is better than getting my kids ready for school in the morning!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%